Question Not able to open/run or download files/programs anymore on Lenovo laptop

Sep 11, 2023
Hello. I have a problem with my Lenovo laptop (Ideapad 720S-14IKB). I came across this forum while googling so I thought I'd write here. English isn't my first language so I apologize for any mistakes.

A few days ago while I was using the laptop the screen suddenly went black and I got the following message: "Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed. Insert Recovery Media and Hit any key. Then Select 'Boot Manager' to choose a new Boot Device or to Boot Recovery Media". I clicked "Ok". I don't remember what came up after that, but I ended up restarting the computer. This only happened once.

After this I've been able to use the computer, I can browse the internet, but I'm unable to open/run most files and programs (can't even open a Word document, notepad, snipping tool etc). For example, when I try to open the Notepad I get this message: "Network Error. Windows cannot access C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Windows...\Notepad.exe. Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose". When I click "Diagnose" I get "An error occured while troubleshooting: A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting". I am not able to download anything either. When I try to download something I get this message: "The network path was either typed incorrectly, does not exist, or the network provider is not currently available. Please try retyping the path or contact your network administrator". And also the "Devices and drives" in the "This PC" folder now says "Windows (C: ) NTFS" and "LENOVO (D: ) 24.9 GB free of 24.9 GB". When I click on the NTFS one it says "C:\ is not accessible. Access is denied".

I tried to reset/reinstall the pc (removed everything) but it didn't fix the problems. I already had a backup of all my files so I'm not worried about that, but I am wondering if there is a way to fix this or if I have to buy a new laptop? Is there anything I can do? I've had this laptop since 2017 so I realize it's a bit old. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 11, 2023
I could be off base, but when you log in to your normal account, are you a system administrator?

Right meow I would think to try creating a new account with admin level authority and see if the issue persists.
Thank you both for your replies. Yes the account is an administrator account, and I tried to create a new one but nothing changed.

Sep 11, 2023
When you are resetting the laptop are you using the prompts from within the install, or a USB/clean install?
I reset it through Settings > System > Recovery. I clicked "Advanced startup" there because the "Reset PC" button didn't work. Then I clicked Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Remove everything.

"Reset PC" button didn't work. Then I clicked Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Remove everything.
if this system is running the OEM Lenovo Windows version that came with the laptop then you may not be able to reactivate a clean MS provided install package using the Lenovo provided license.

you may need to contact Lenovo and get a new install package directly from them to continue using the same activation procedure.

if this was a fresh install with a license purchased from MS then you will have no problem using their downloadable Windows installer.