[SOLVED] Unable to click - Invisible overlay above everything

radibg2

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014
It seems that sometimes there is an invisible window on everything above the taskbar, however this overlay appears only on top of items that were not in full screen mode. For example if I am watching Netflix, on full screen the Netflix window works fine, however the minimize, resize, close buttons won't show up and do not work when I go out of full screen mode. When this overlay is present I can usually click on the taskbar, however that sometimes also stops working, and when I switch to an app using ALT+TAB and click with the mouse on an item in a program, for example the URL bar in Chrome, the window gets greyed out, like there was something in front of it.

Everything acts like I have two windows side by side, I can hover over stuff(the hover effect appears) on the two windows, but I can't click on either, because when I try to click on something it acts like there is a third window that is always on top and capturing all my mouse clicks, thus greying out the rest of the windows like they are in the background of some invisible one, a restart sometimes fixes the issue, however it appears again, sometimes seconds after restarts sometimes after an hour or two.

I had to reinstall my Windows due to this issue, however that did not solve anythinhg and introduced a couple other issues, driver related, one of which solved.

I am running Windows 10 Home, version 20H2, OS Build 19042.985, with the latest May 2021(KB5003173) update on MSI GE72 6QD and LG UHD 32UL500-W, the issue occurs on both the laptop's screen and the monitor.

This issue occurs both with my mouse and touchpad, enabling/disabling the touchpad, plugging out and in the mouse does not fix the issue.

Last edited:
Solution
Turns out, the issue was with the PCB/motherboard of the mouse I was using, it got worse increasing the issue. And managed to figure it out 100% for sure, by it appearing immediately after I enable the mouse.
strange then if the problem continued with mouse unplugged.

did you try another mouse? how did you work out its pcb of mouse? does it happen on other PC?
might make it one thread since its related.

radibg2

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014
Hi,
I have MSI GE72 6QD and ever since I reinstalled my Windows 10 yesterday, the Windows keeps turning off the mouse on shut down/sleep and I have to manually switch it off and on from the button underneath. Also, it won't detect the middle clicks(the scroll works). The mouse is Logitech G603, its with its latest firmware(according to Logitech's tool), I've installed the latest Logitech G Hub.

According to the Device manager the mouse is running Microsoft's driver with version 10.0.19041.1

Under the power management section the option to allow the computer to turn off the mouse is disabled and greyed out.

Any ideas on fixing this issue?

I am using Windows 10 Home, version 20H2, OS Build 19042.985, with KB5003173 as the latest update.

Last edited:

Cj-tech

Reputable
Jan 27, 2021
Hi,
I just reinstalled my OS and after the reinstall it no longer recognizes me middle clicking, like opening something in a new tab, closing a tab, etc. The scroll works. I've tried reinstalling the drivers. The mouse was working fine before the reinstall. Any ideas on fixing this issue?
It is typical to share your computer model or full system specs when posting to these forums (so others can help you). As well, this post is very similar to your previous post, make sure that you don’t double post.

radibg2

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014
It is typical to share your computer model or full system specs when posting to these forums (so others can help you). As well, this post is very similar to your previous post, make sure that you don’t double post.

As this is most likely a driver issue, it is very different, the other is more likely to be a Windows update issue as it appeared before the reinstall. I've added my laptop model.

radibg2

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014
Turns out, the issue was with the PCB/motherboard of the mouse, it got worse increasing the issue here:

And managed to figure it out 100% for sure, by it appearing immediately after I enable the mouse.

radibg2

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014
Turns out, the issue was with the PCB/motherboard of the mouse I was using, it got worse increasing the issue. And managed to figure it out 100% for sure, by it appearing immediately after I enable the mouse.

Colif

Win 11 Master
strange then if the problem continued with mouse unplugged.

did you try another mouse? how did you work out its pcb of mouse? does it happen on other PC?
might make it one thread since its related.

Solution