Not all fans spin on idle for GTX Asus 1080 STRIX OC Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crom808

Honorable
Feb 9, 2017
This is my videocard:

https://www.amazon.com/ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-O8G-11GBPS-GeForce-11Gbps-Gaming-Graphics/dp/B072BHBRLJ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1499644196&sr=8-4&keywords=gtx+1080+strix

Greetings,

First of all, I know that when the computer is idle or not working hard, all 3 fans don't spin. I noticed a few things with the fan. When the computer is not on a heavy load or semi idling (Watching streams or youtube videos or surfing the web):

I noticed only 2 of the 3 fans were spinning. So I fired up 3dmark Firestrike, and the last fan finally kicked in after a few seconds of running Firestrike.

Another time, I saw only 1 of 3 fans spinning. I did the same thing and ran the 3dmark Firestrike benchmark test, and then the other two fans started spinning.

And finally, another time, I saw all 3 fans stopping, then spinning again, then stopping and spinning again. And it did this while I was watching it for like 30-40 seconds

So my question is, is this normal? Or do I need to return this GPU and get a replacement or buy a different card all together?

EDIT: I forgot to mention the weather here is hot during the summer if this information will help.

Solution

I believe it’s normal. I have the A8G and mine are doing the same thing. On and off for a couple seconds and only one of the fans seems to stay on under light load. With hardly any load all fans are off. I like the fans to run a little faster than normal to keep things cooler than normal. They are just fans and can be replaced so I’m not worried about ruining the life of the fans. I’d even be happy running all fans at 100%, 100% of the time. They aren’t loud in my opinion.

slyverine

Reputable
Mar 4, 2016
as long as all fans spin when you are under load and it exceeds the temperature threshold you are ok, apart from that it's strix architecture doing it's work.Yesterday i was watching my friend's 1070 strix oc and fans spinned for like 2 secs while watching for some video and then went idle again.

Crom808

Honorable
Feb 9, 2017
Thanks for the reply @ slyverine

But is it normal for only 1 or 2 of the 3 fans to spin or for the fans to be going on and off every 3-4 seconds under light load like how I described?

MERGED QUESTION
Question from Crom808 : "NZXT CAM software GPU fan speeds not accurate"

Oct 18, 2017

I believe it’s normal. I have the A8G and mine are doing the same thing. On and off for a couple seconds and only one of the fans seems to stay on under light load. With hardly any load all fans are off. I like the fans to run a little faster than normal to keep things cooler than normal. They are just fans and can be replaced so I’m not worried about ruining the life of the fans. I’d even be happy running all fans at 100%, 100% of the time. They aren’t loud in my opinion.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS