[SOLVED] Not All Fans will Run

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
My Gaming machine is up and running. I have 3 cooling fans. Two front fans were operational using a Y connector and plugging into Sys Fan 2 header. Sys Fan 1 was connected to the rear fan and it never ran.

Next I ran one front and the rear fan off of a Sys Fan 1 header using a Y connector. The other front fan now runs by itself off of the Sys Fan 2 Header.

With this configuration only the front fan operates but neither the other front or rear fan will now run. Is this dangerous? The only thing am doing on this PC is accessing this website to post this message.

Does the machine have to get hot for both Fan headers to turn on? How do I check the temperature inside the case? What is too hot?

Do the fan headers need to be set up in in advance using BIOS on this Aorus MoB since 3 fans are running off 2 Sys Fan headers?

I took the manual fan controls on the Lian case out of the equation altogether. Please see my specs shown below.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I suggest you download HWiNFO64 software here:
-just get "Installer" version there.
HWinNFO64 will show you all temperatures and fan speeds (and a LOT of other data). By observing that data, you can easily pinpoint the trouble if there's any.
Usually, at default BIOS settings (out of the box), all fans are spinning even if PC is idling.
Normal temperatures for your CPU would be: about 30-35°C when PC is idling (only windows running) -that is, about 10-12°C above room temperature. At heavy load, you can expect CPU temp to reach up to about 68-73°C -depends on CPU cooler and airflow inside PC case. Keep in mind that CPU temperature fluctuate frequently depending work CPU does.
Other components will...
Things you will need to check,
Are all fans the same? and of the same type? ( PWM or DC controlled)
How have you set them up in bios? (auto,dc,pwm)
Do you have fans curves in bios? Are the curves configured correctly?
From your description it would appear you have different style fans and then at the end you mention another form of control - what's that about?

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
All fans the same brand/type. They are all PWM. 2 X 120mm in the front and 1 X 140mm in the rear.
The 3 fans were included in the Lian Mesh case.
Bios hasn't been touched.
"Are the curves configured correctly "? Don't understand this.
There is a 4 mode fan controller in the top of the case to allow one to manually control the fans. I bypassed this controller to allow the MoB to automatically control air flow.

Please look at this case:
https://www.newegg.com/black-lian-l...CFYyVxQIdm5wIGg&gclsrc=ds&Item=2AM-000Z-00063

How do you measure the temp in the case? What temp or trigger runs the fans?

Thanks.

HWinNFO64 will show you all temperatures and fan speeds (and a LOT of other data). By observing that data, you can easily pinpoint the trouble if there's any.
Usually, at default BIOS settings (out of the box), all fans are spinning even if PC is idling.
Normal temperatures for your CPU would be: about 30-35°C when PC is idling (only windows running) -that is, about 10-12°C above room temperature. At heavy load, you can expect CPU temp to reach up to about 68-73°C -depends on CPU cooler and airflow inside PC case. Keep in mind that CPU temperature fluctuate frequently depending work CPU does.
Other components will have lower and more constant temperatures (in range 30-45°C).

Added
Motherboard (BIOS) is measuring temperatures all the time and change fans speed accordingly on fan headers -depending on fan curve (temperature/speed), which is defined in BIOS.
Default fan curve (mobo out of the box, or after BIOS firmware update) is usually linear. That means, as CPU get's hotter fans speed will increase accordingly.

Last edited:
Solution

versionmanager

Honorable
Dec 19, 2016
Other components will have lower and more constant temperatures (in range 30-45°C).

Added
Motherboard (BIOS) is measuring temperatures all the time and change fans speed accordingly on fan headers -depending on fan curve (temperature/speed), which is defined in BIOS.
Default fan curve (mobo out of the box, or after BIOS firmware update) is usually linear. That means, as CPU get's hotter fans speed will increase accordingly.
Thanks for the detail. I will check into it.