Not all ram being used on dual booted MBP with Windows 7 Professional 64bit

Eventorizon

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014
Hi there

As in the title, I am on a 2010 17" Macbook pro, with a 50/50 HDD split between Mountain Lion and Window 7 Professional 64 Bit. On the mac side it seems that all the ram is discovered and available but I don't have any software that I could use to find out for sure.

The ram was actually installed maybe 9 months ago and all this time I have been assuming it was working. But recently when I started using Solidworks 2014 (Having been using 2011) I noticed significant lag on all functions when I was using it alongside Windows Media player and Chrome.

To test the theory I have simultaneously run a Solidworks render, played music from Media Player, had 8 Chrome windows open and run a Skype test call. Task Manager gives me 3.18Gb or Ram use maximum no matter what I do, but reads...

Total - 6325 (To be expected on a 8GB system running 7)
Cashed - 2827
Available - 3200 (Varies slightly)
Free - 475 (Varies slightly)

The CPU was at anything from 65% to 94% while doing this. (Intel i5 M540 2.53GHz)

Originally installed was 4GB of 2x Hyinx 2Gb '2Rx8 PC3-8500S' DRAM This was replaced by 8Gb of 2x 4Gb Kingston 4Gb 'PC3=8500-CL7' DRAM.

The speeds are identical, the machine can accept up to 8Gb (Even 12 if you are willing to mess with the BIOS) and Windows 7 Professional 64Bit can accept up to 192Gb.

The most recent version of Bootcamp is also installed, but I am going to reinstall it just in case.

I cant spot why I am limited, everything should allow up to the max of the machine but I cant seem to find a solution, so lets see what you can all come up with.

Thanks

Eventorizon

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014

I am struggling to get into the BIOS. I have tried holding, ESC, F2, F8, F10 and F12 on start up and I get either boot options, nothing or some kind of Command Prompt. Suggestions?

Found this googling around... maybe it will help:

"Macs do not have a BIOS to enter. The equivalent would be the Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) to access this (Open Firmware, hence O and F key combination) press Command-Option-O-F keys during startup."

Eventorizon

Honorable
Jan 21, 2014

A quick search of the Apple forums says that a normal user cant get into the EFI and that only Apple technicians can. If the problem is in there then I will have to take it in just to get it working.

TRENDING THREADS