Question Not all ram works together?

Dec 8, 2019
I bought 3000 mhz ram for my ryzen chip. When i try to get all 4 at 3000mhz it wont boot. I was trying to find which ram stick was broken but they all worked. (Keep in mind I did check timings and voltage). Whenever I have 1, 2, or 3 ram sticks in it runs at 3000 mhz just fine. But whenever I put a fourth stick in it wont boot into windows and starts power cycling. All the ram sticks work individually and in pairs of 3 and 2. How do I fix this?

First gen Ryzen have less RAM compatibility than newer Ryzens. I have a 1800X and it took a while to find a high frequency compatible RAM.

4Ghz is pretty good, I hit 3.9Ghz. What's your CPU voltage?

Also in addition to increasing CPU and RAM voltage, you might need to loosen memory timings.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

Seriously doubtful you'll get 4x sticks to work on a 1st gen Ryzen at anything over 2667MHz, and much depends on whether the ram is single or dual rank, (not to be confused with single or dual channel) or what combination of ranked ram is used in which DIMM slots.

For instance; using SR-DR-SR-DR can get you 2667MHz, but using DR-SR-DR-SR will only allow for 2133-2400MHz. Ryzen are extremely picky about ram configurations as the cpu uses ram speeds to dictate the speeds it uses for communicating between its cores.

Single rank is one set of ram chips in serial config, so in an 8GB stick the info has access to the full 8Gb when it goes through. Dual rank is more like SLI, it's actual split into 2x4Gb on the stick (parallel) (usually has ram chips on both sides) so the info going in is split, some goes left some goes right, flip-flop, so only has access to 4Gb at a time. Sometimes dual rank is a bonus, sometimes not. With Ryzen, it's generally not as the infinity fabric can get fuzzy when dealing with so many flip-flops with 4x sticks, leaving SR as a superior choice. Ryzen also use A2/B2 as primary channel, that's its first choice and gets better performance. A1/B1 is a secondary channel and pretty much only sees use when the primary is swamped.

You'll have to use a program like Typhoon Burner to see what the ram is, single or dual rank.

If old set is dual, new set is single then placing ram would be new-old-new-old will get 2667MHz. Placing old-new-old-new will get 2133MHz.
If old is SR and new is DR, then opposite applies. If both are SR, or DR, then can place in any order and get 2667MHz.

Timing changes/voltage changes will have very little (if any) affect.

Ryzen simply do not like 4x sticks. 2x in A2/B2 is best performance and only way to attempt greater than 2667MHz.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zizo007
Dec 8, 2019

Seriously doubtful you'll get 4x sticks to work on a 1st gen Ryzen at anything over 2667MHz, and much depends on whether the ram is single or dual rank, (not to be confused with single or dual channel) or what combination of ranked ram is used in which DIMM slots.

For instance; using SR-DR-SR-DR can get you 2667MHz, but using DR-SR-DR-SR will only allow for 2133-2400MHz. Ryzen are extremely picky about ram configurations as the cpu uses ram speeds to dictate the speeds it uses for communicating between its cores.
what cpu would i nned to try and get full speeds on my ram

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
According to cpu-z, all the ram is single rank, but if you look at the serial numbers, you'll see you split the 2 kits, 1/4 and 2/3. Dunno which was the original kit and which is new. Either way, for best compatability swap 1/2 or 3/4 so the kits are paired up as they were bought and you'd get 1/3, 2/4.

With 1st gen you'd be looking at 2667MHz. It's possible you could get 2933 at best, which is quite normal for 3000MHz. The only way to get a better result and 2933/3000 is with 2nd/3rd gen Ryzen like a 2600x or 3600, both are compatible with B450 mobo's (may need a bios update for 3rd gen, recommended anyway)