Not as good performance for what i have

KingSe7en

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
So i recently upgraded my GPU and i now have a GTX 980ti and i match that with my Intel Core i5-4690k but the performance isn't as good as it should be. When i first installed my CPU i was told to go to my bios and look at something called thermaltrotting or something idk i was told to check it to make sure it was ok and i done nothing since installing the card, but i feel like there should be something to do after installing a new cpu? Did i miss something and thats why its not performing that well? Also i forgot what the guy said when i upgraded my CPU thats why i didnt do it :/

Solution
Seems like ASUS has always had this problem. Eight years ago I had to disable "CPU TM function" or the multiplier would permanently drop to the minimum under heavy load like IBT, which would only fix itself upon reboot. And temperatures never exceeded 70C at any time but perhaps the board was alarmed at the rate of change.

On your board it's under "CPU Internal Power Fault Control" and the setting which should be disabled is called "Thermal Feedback." Test it and see if it fixes your framerate issue but keep an eye on the temps--with this setting disabled the only failsafe is Intel's own throttling at 100C

KingSe7en

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015

I would lock it at 60fps since my Monitor is 60hz but i can't even keep stable 60 at times. Also I play on 1080p

KingSe7en

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015

I'm off the PC for the night I will get that for you tomorrow but where in the BIOS would I find it ?

KingSe7en

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015

I'm off the PC for the night I will get that for you tomorrow but where in the BIOS would I find it ?

Seems like ASUS has always had this problem. Eight years ago I had to disable "CPU TM function" or the multiplier would permanently drop to the minimum under heavy load like IBT, which would only fix itself upon reboot. And temperatures never exceeded 70C at any time but perhaps the board was alarmed at the rate of change.

On your board it's under "CPU Internal Power Fault Control" and the setting which should be disabled is called "Thermal Feedback." Test it and see if it fixes your framerate issue but keep an eye on the temps--with this setting disabled the only failsafe is Intel's own throttling at 100C

Solution

KingSe7en

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015