Not booting after sleep, won't boot past bios page.

imhereyourthere

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Hi everyone, hope you all had a good new year and kept safe. Been a while since I had a problem but the last few months I have been getting this really annoying occurrence happening.

I always leave my PC to sleep on it's own after the pre-determined hour I set it up for. However in the last couple months it's been playing up. I will find it sleeping when I get home from work and when I use the mouse or keyboard to get it to wake the mouse will light up then go dead and nothing. I can't get it to wake by clicked either of my two keyboards or mice.

When I go to restart it sometimes it will just start the fans then stop and nothing, sometimes it will boot and stop at the bios screen then nothing. It will never just go straight into windows. After I restart it a second time with the button it sometimes boots right up and it acts as though it just woke from sleep, mozilla tabs open, steam open etc. However sometimes the second reboot does nothing and my PC is just dead until I remove the plug once or twice..

Also, sometimes my PC just doesn't sleep. At all, it just stays awake for days.. I am at a loss.

I have been searching around and have found multiple reasons for these kinds of things but none of them have really helped. I tried not having my ssd sleep by using the cmd with the powercfg.exe -h off command. I have tried to reset my cmos (I think that is what it's called).

Any help would be awesome, I was thinking it would possibly be my mobo or psu but at this point I have no idea anymore...

My specs are as follows:

intel i3570k
evga gtx 670 sc 4gb (x2 sli)
corsair vengeance cml8gx3m2a1600c9 16gb ram (2x8gb)
asrock extreme4 z77
samsung 840 ssd 250gb (windows 7 pro on this drive)
samsung 840 evo ssd 250gb (steam)
samsung 840 evo ssd 250gb (mostly other games)
wd caviar black 2tb hdd (programs and documents)
corsair ax850 gold psu
corsair h100i and put plenty of fans in case to keep it cool

really don't know if it matters but here is a list of mouse/keyboards and monitors..

samsung lcd tv
aoc i2367f
aoc i2367fh (have a hdmi to dvi adaptor)
mionix naos 8200
ducky shine 3
microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard

Solution
I have this problem with my mouse and keyboard where if my mouse is on during boot or if I press a key before boot it won't start up so I leave my mouse off until windows boots up. I hear it's a problem usually when using the front usb ports so if your using those switch your wireless receivers to the back of the case. You can also try going into, Power Option, Change Plan Settings, change advanced power settings, and under usb settings select and disable the selective suspend setting, apply and click ok.

galactigus

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
I have this problem with my mouse and keyboard where if my mouse is on during boot or if I press a key before boot it won't start up so I leave my mouse off until windows boots up. I hear it's a problem usually when using the front usb ports so if your using those switch your wireless receivers to the back of the case. You can also try going into, Power Option, Change Plan Settings, change advanced power settings, and under usb settings select and disable the selective suspend setting, apply and click ok.

Solution

imhereyourthere

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

Thanks I just tried that, I will see how it goes. It is pretty intermittent but heck it is awesome getting such a quick response to try! thank you!

imhereyourthere

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Ok that didn't work, it happened again this morning after trying to wake it from sleep again. Please anything else to try, I am getting to the point where I am just going to sell my PC and give up on it all..

galactigus

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
Under Power options same place you disable usb there is a hard disk and sleep option you can try to set you hard disk to never turn off and also under sleep there is an option to hibernate instead which might solve your problem hibernation is almost the same thing.

imhereyourthere

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

thanks I will try that, though now I have noticed that by even shutting the pc down completely then trying to restart just results in the same symptoms. The mouse lights up then goes off and nothing, then if I try to start it again the button will not respond. I have to isolate then remove the actual power supply and plug it back in and only then it will restart AND it restarts like it's just waking from sleep, tabs in firefox still open etc..

imhereyourthere

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
still the same problem, The mouse lights up then goes off and nothing, then if I try to start it again the button will not respond. I have to isolate then remove the actual power supply and plug it back in and only then it will restart AND it restarts like it's just waking from sleep, tabs in firefox still open etc..