[SOLVED] Not booting, ticking sound from mobo. Broken mobo?

Feb 3, 2021
Hi, my good people,

I just attempted to build a new rig, but nothing happens when i try to boot.
No fans, LEDs or anything is turning on, just completely dead. I have ofc triple checked the PSU switch, tried different outlets etc., but still nothing.
I suspected i had connected the pwr pin wrong, but this was also connected correctly. I also tried manually booting with a screwdriver touching the 2 pins.
Also tried disconnecting graphics card, 1 ram stick, and all power cables except the 24-pin and the 8-pin to the cpu. Still no signs of life.

After trying all this i also noticed an ongoing and even ticking sound coming from the mobo while the the PSU is switched on. I tried with a different PSU and got all the same results.

In my head, this seems like I have a defective motherboard. As if the power is going into the mobo, but not being distributed anywhere from there.
Or could i be missing something? Would be typical of me to forget something really obvious, but in this case i can't really see it.

Here's my setup:
Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix X570-F GAMING
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4 3600Mhz 32GB
HDD: WD Black SN850 1TB M.2 SSD
CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken X63 CPU Kjøler
PSU: Corsair RM850x, 850W PSU
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 GAMING X TRIO
Case: Corsair Crystal 570X RGB Midi Tower

Thanks a lot in advance for any advice! :)

Solution
You have 2 important things. Good motherboard and excellent psu. By hooking the usb-c backwards, you ran a dead short, power to ground pins. Between both items, they refused to work and force the issue. That just saved you some smoking components.

This is one reason among several why good psus are always recommended with strong conviction.

Glad it worked out for you, even happier you did the right thing in the first place with choice of psu.
Feb 3, 2021
OK i feel pretty stupid now, but i solved it. I had connected a USB C header from the case the wrong way. it seemed to kinda fit both ways, but after just flipping it, everything works. If anyone has a similar problem to mine, be sure to check that :sweatsmile:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have 2 important things. Good motherboard and excellent psu. By hooking the usb-c backwards, you ran a dead short, power to ground pins. Between both items, they refused to work and force the issue. That just saved you some smoking components.

This is one reason among several why good psus are always recommended with strong conviction.

Glad it worked out for you, even happier you did the right thing in the first place with choice of psu.

Solution