[SOLVED] Not enough 3 pin connectors

Mar 31, 2020
Hi.

On my motherboard, I don’t have enough 3 pin connectors for all of my fans. I have 5 running (including 2 from water cooling), but there isn’t enough for my exhaust fan.

I’ve connected it via 3 pin to a 4 pin connector, but nothing happens.

I could buy a 3 pin port or whatever it is but I feel like there’s an easier way.

View: https://imgur.com/bkyopER

Last edited:
Solution
With 3 pin fans, they are voltage controlled, so that requires some beefy physical switching to change that from 12v to 5v, yet still supply enough amperage. So there's extremely few options for 3pin fan control, and mostly nothing but 4pin PWM options. So chances of getting something like a hub or powered splitter are very slim at best.

Your motherboard has 1x cpu_fan header and 1x sys_fan header, major issue with many non-atx mobo's, lack of fan headers.

You have limited options. Cpu_fan is a no, the aio needs that either for the fans or the pump. The sys_fan header is up for grabs, depending on if that case has its own power for the front fans, many do, some don't. My case has a 3speed fan switch. You could (with long enough...
Options:

Use a molex to 3 pin adapter and run your fan straight to PSU, but it will be at maximum RPM.

Use a Y-splitter to link identical fans to 1 header. You can find them dirt cheap if they are ketchup/mustard, or a little more for sleeved.

Buy a fan controller. They come in many varieties, from analog knobs to LCD touchpanels, stick-on mounting, pci slot, or front panel drive-bay.

I’ve connected it via 3 pin to a 4 pin connector, but nothing happens.
there should be a built-in tab on the header that fits to the fan cable and makes sure it is connected correctly.
4-pin-fan-connection-100360900-orig.jpg

are you sure it is a fan port you are connecting to? attach images.

and to add more fans;
you can either get a 1 > 2 splitter, or something like this:
Multiple port fan hub

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With 3 pin fans, they are voltage controlled, so that requires some beefy physical switching to change that from 12v to 5v, yet still supply enough amperage. So there's extremely few options for 3pin fan control, and mostly nothing but 4pin PWM options. So chances of getting something like a hub or powered splitter are very slim at best.

Your motherboard has 1x cpu_fan header and 1x sys_fan header, major issue with many non-atx mobo's, lack of fan headers.

You have limited options. Cpu_fan is a no, the aio needs that either for the fans or the pump. The sys_fan header is up for grabs, depending on if that case has its own power for the front fans, many do, some don't. My case has a 3speed fan switch. You could (with long enough extension) hook to that with the rear, or put the front fans on it, if they aren't single speed molex powered through an rgb switch.

A 4way powered splitter won't work as the power comes from a direct source, not the mobo, so won't control the fans.

Or use an adapter like linked above, sometimes they'll come with a low-noise adapter, or ultra low noise adapter, which is nothing more than a single speed, preset voltage, 5v,7v,9v,12v. No control over speeds.

Or just take the rear out, it's honestly not necessary and won't do much (if anything except rob the aio of airflow). The rear exhaust is only needed for air tower type coolers. In a case with top vents, like where your aio sits, there's plenty of flow, the rear exhaust is pretty redundant.

Solution
as the others have stated, the image you provided shows the fan attached to a header that is not for fans.

the link i provided is for a fan hub that supports 3 or 4pin fans. this type of hub would connect to your SYS_FAN header and add support for additional fans.

the way your case is setup you definitely want the rear exhaust to help draw heat directly from your GPU while the top mounted radiator is drawing more of the cooler air from the front intake fans.

What? Lol? Never heard of a rheostat? It's a $2 variable resistor, been around for over a century, and has been used for fan control for decades. I have quite a few of them in my parts bin specificly for 3-pin fans. All of the analog knob fan controllers are rheostats.

https://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Fan-S...qid=1587389689&sprefix=fan+controller&sr=8-54