[SOLVED] Not enough capacity on PSU?

Ryuawt

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
So I've recently built a new PC, currently using my OLD Vega 64 with it, but I plan to upgrade to a RX 6800xt Gpu model, at some point (if I'm lucky enough finding a decently priced one), although now I'm worried I way not have enough capacity on a 750 gold rated Seasonic PSU. (to the extent of not overusing the PSU with time)
Full build : (added RX 6800XT instead of the current Vega 64, when I intend to upgrade)
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/94VNJf
Estimated power consumption around 630w, according to PCPartpicker

Ive used a PSU calculator and it seemed OK, although I'm not sure on how close to max capacity is bad or good, still have couple of days to return the existing PSU back to vendor/supplier (still within the return window), and go for a 850w instead if needed.

Any advice is appreciated

Cheers

Last edited:
Solution
This chart shows 700w:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
The seasonic is excellent quality and will deliver full power and more.
No need to change.
If the 6800XT is a factory overclocked version that needs more than the standard two 8 pin connectors, then you are very close.

What is the make/model of your case?
Why the large number of 120mm fans?

I think that you will want a better cooler to take full advantage of your processor. The BQ pr2 may be a bit weak.
So I've recently built a new PC, currently using my OLD Vega 64 with it, but I plan to upgrade to a RX 6800xt Gpu model, at some point (if I'm lucky enough finding a decently priced one), although now I'm worried I way not have enough capacity on a 750 gold rated Seasonic PSU. (to the extent of not overusing the PSU with time)
Full build : (added RX 6800XT instead of the current Vega 64, when I intend to upgrade)
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/94VNJf

Ive used a PSU calculator and it seemed OK, although I'm not sure on how close to max capacity is bad or good, still have couple of days to return the existing PSU back to vendor/supplier (still within the return window), and go for a 850w instead if needed.

Any advice is appreciated

Cheers
Opinion.
Best to go with at least a 850w.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
750W is enough. Try it, if it doesn't work that's not because the wattage capacity is too low. But since it's apparently works with Vega 64 too, RX6800 XT should be fine.

Wait ... It's a new PSU ? Does it work with Vega 64 after all or you aren't using it yet ?

Ryuawt

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
750W is enough. Try it, if it doesn't work that's not because the wattage capacity is too low. But since it's apparently works with Vega 64 too, RX6800 XT should be fine.

Wait ... It's a new PSU ? Does it work with Vega 64 after all or you aren't using it yet ?
It works with Vega, it has about 150w overhead assuming all PC parts are maxing out in terms of drawing power, my concern is the 6800xt having slightly higher PSU usage and how sustainable is that over time on a build with 750w PSU. Wouldn't want to shorten the life span of it or cause other power issues to the other PC parts. Although the PSU I have is a rather good one, so it should be quite efficient on its gold rating? I'm not an expert in PSUs, not sure

This chart shows 700w:
No need to change.
If the 6800XT is a factory overclocked version that needs more than the standard two 8 pin connectors, then you are very close.

I think that you will want a better cooler to take full advantage of your processor. The BQ pr2 may be a bit weak.

Solution

Ryuawt

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
This chart shows 700w:
No need to change.

I have a Sapphire Nitro Vega 64 and according to their website its more power hungry at 100% load than the Sapphire Nitro RX 6800xt I intend to purchase at some point (if stars align, lol), so in theory I am OK.

I have a MSI case, model MPG GUNGNIR 110M, Black, Mid Tower, it has 4 120mm fans included and I've purchased x2 extra 120mm to install on top of the case for extra airflow.

Both CPU and GPU are within reasonable temperatures, so the Pure Rock 2 is actually cooling not bad, haven't seen the more than 61c under load in games(I even messed around with the OC) , GPU didn't go higher than 67c

I have a wattage measurer , not sure how accurate it is, but I'll plug it in today into the mains electricity socket and see what it shows under load, but like other people have mentioned, I should be more than fine with my 750w, although I've been recommended 850w PSUs by most wattage calculators, so if the return process won't be too complicated, might just go through it

Ryuawt

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
It appears that I barely reach 470w usage with 2 launched games, 20+ chrome tabs, while also streaming in the background. Maxed out GPU and about 33% of the CPU.
Just like other people have mentioned, I should be fine with a 750w PSU that I have

Thanks all

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
There is nothing there that explains your logic of downgrading it to 600watts when in tests it delivers full power at 46C
What it's rated for and what it actually delivers are two different things. You use it at 46°C ambient constantly and it doesn't blow up ? Good for you. It does blow up ? Seasonic asks you how it was used and deny you RMA because you were using it past 40°C ambient (how they're gonna enforce that if you don't tell them is another question). Just scummy speccing, most other PSUs in the high-end market or at least pretending to be are rated for 50°C. Corsair for example actually tests their PSUs at 55°C and then specs at 50°C, even SFX series where pulling that out is way harder. Seasonic PSUs, even supposedly high-end PRIME series are rated for 40°C at 100% load. Yes very few people uses their PSUs at 50°C ambient, probably only miners or people using their PCs at 100% load constantly in cases with zero airflow. But for the comparion between Seasonic PSUs and competition to be fair you'll need compare them derated to 80% capacity, or instead compare them with other PSUs that are rated for 40°C at 100% load.

Last edited: