[SOLVED] Not enough fan/rgb headers

May 15, 2019
Hey Y'all,

So I am building my first PC and the configuration process is nearly finished. But I need some help with the fan- and RGB-headers since there aren't enough on my mainboard.

The important components for my issue:
-Msi X470 Gaming Pro (already bought)
-Cooler Master H500 (H500 blank)
-Alpenföhn Brocken 3 Black Edition

So I have 2 cpu fans, 2 built-in RGB fans from the case and I am adding another 200mm RGB fan (masterfan MF200R) to the top of the case, as well as swapping the built-in rear fan for an 120mm RGB fan (not sure which one yet). In total, this makes 4 RGB case fans + the 2 cpu fans.
The mainboard has 1 cpu fan header, 4 system fan headers and 2 RGB headers. Also, I want to control all 4 RGB fans and the mainboard RGB via the MSI mystic light software. I would like to use the cpu header and 1 system header for the cpu fans which means I need a fan/rgb splitter for being able to connect the rest of the fans as well as using the RGB functions.
There are 5050 splitters for RGB (1 to 4) which would be sufficient in my case and there are also PWM 1 to 2 splitters.

Finally, my questions:

1. Do the fans decrease in power/speed due to the splitter? Should I use a fan hub instead?
  2. Does the RGB lighting lose intensity due to splitting?
  3. If I use a fan/rgb hub, can I still control the lighting/fan speed via the msi software? (Fan speed not so relevant since at least 3 out of the 4 fans aren't pwm).
Example for a fan hub I have in mind, if needed: "AeroCool P7H1 - RGB Hub Controller"
There is apparently no RGB header connected from this hub to the mainboard. Does this mean lighting is controlled via its own software? Or through the usb connection via the mainboard?
Can/should I use splitters or a hub? If hub, do you have suggestions or is the example good enough?

That's pretty much it. Forgive me potentially stupid questions as I am not so experienced with all of this.

Thanks in advance! :)

Solution
  1. No they don't decrease. The concern is overloading the header.
  2. See one.
  3. Yes, if you get the right one. It needs to be Mystic compatible and should be powered via molex/sata.

The Silverstone CPL02 is a SATA powered RGB hub. It is listed as MSI Mystic compatible. It should receive RGB input from the motherboard RGB header and output to your Mystic compatible fans and other case lighting.

You may just need an RGB splitter cable. Look up the specs for your lighting and calculate total draw (amps). The manual lists the RGB power rating at 3A for the motherboard.

If the fans need a separate input. You'll want a powered 4pin fan hub (PWM). System fan headers can usually handle two to three fans using splitters. A...
  2. See one.
  3. Yes, if you get the right one. It needs to be Mystic compatible and should be powered via molex/sata.

The Silverstone CPL02 is a SATA powered RGB hub. It is listed as MSI Mystic compatible. It should receive RGB input from the motherboard RGB header and output to your Mystic compatible fans and other case lighting.

You may just need an RGB splitter cable. Look up the specs for your lighting and calculate total draw (amps). The manual lists the RGB power rating at 3A for the motherboard.

If the fans need a separate input. You'll want a powered 4pin fan hub (PWM). System fan headers can usually handle two to three fans using splitters. A powered hub may not be necessary. It depends on the draw per fan at full load. Which should be in the specs of the fan. A system fan header can normally handle 1A draw.

Solution
The motherboard you already bought has two RGB LED strips (12V/G/R/B).

What is more important is that it has no 5v addressable headers. This is found on better more expensive motherboards.

(+12v) Non-addressable RGBs, the whole strip/array of RGB LEDs displays one colour at any time. This colour can transition, shift, breath/pulse, etc, across the entire RGB LED colour spectrum - and Mystic Light provides a variety of snazzy themes/effects - but every RGB LED is always exactly the same colour as all its neighbours at any given instant, the whole strip is "all or nothing".

(+5v) Addressable RGBs, each RGB LED (or segment/block of RGB LEDs) can display a different colour and intensity than its neighbours. Some could be lit in one colour or lit in another or more intense or less intense while others are simultaneously displaying something else. Everything that non-addressable RGB does but more fancy animation/striping/chasing effects are possible. Higher cost and complexity.

May 15, 2019
@
velo
  2. See one.

If the fans need a separate input. You'll want a powered 4pin fan hub (PWM). System fan headers can usually handle two to three fans using splitters. A powered hub may not be necessary. It depends on the draw per fan at full load. Which should be in the specs of the fan. A system fan header can normally handle 1A draw.

Thanks for the input!
Since the power rating for my fans is 0.3A I went with two 1 to 4 RGB splitters and one 1 to 2 fan splitter. I assume the given power rating counts for fan power draw as well as RGB power draw? It is the only information given in this regard.

May 15, 2019
The motherboard you already bought has two RGB LED strips (12V/G/R/B).

What is more important is that it has no 5v addressable headers. This is found on better more expensive motherboards.

(+12v) Non-addressable RGBs, the whole strip/array of RGB LEDs displays one colour at any time. This colour can transition, shift, breath/pulse, etc, across the entire RGB LED colour spectrum - and Mystic Light provides a variety of snazzy themes/effects - but every RGB LED is always exactly the same colour as all its neighbours at any given instant, the whole strip is "all or nothing".

(+5v) Addressable RGBs, each RGB LED (or segment/block of RGB LEDs) can display a different colour and intensity than its neighbours. Some could be lit in one colour or lit in another or more intense or less intense while others are simultaneously displaying something else. Everything that non-addressable RGB does but more fancy animation/striping/chasing effects are possible. Higher cost and complexity.

Thanks for your answer!
Yeah I noticed there aren't any ARGB headers on my motherboard but I am satisfied with "only" normal RGB.
Since all of my fans have non-addressable RGB lighting the motherboard should be sufficient. :)