[SOLVED] Not enough memory

dahermit

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015
Re: HP Compac 6000 Pro Small Form Factor JSR677E

I have several nodes on my home network. The one I am using now is a Compac 6300 Pro Small Form Factor.

This unit runs Google Earth Pro just fine. However the Compac 6000 in another room baulks when I try to load Google Earth Pro, say that there is not enough video memory to do so.

I took a look inside a currently unused Compac 6305 expecting to find a graphics card but found that the Display Port is not on a card, but apparently built-in. I assume all are like that.

If it makes any difference, the computer I am using (6300) and the one that does not want to run Google Earth Pro (6000), both are cabled to a 32" flat screen tv via Display Port/HDMI cable.

What are my options for getting enough memory to get the Compac 6000 to also run the Google Earth program, or am I SOL?

Solution
If you get video output from motherboard video connectors, you are using chipset integrated graphics which uses system memory. In that case, the only way to solve your low memory issue would be to upgrade system memory.

Major OEMs sometimes have very limited memory compatibility, so you will need to make sure to run a compatibility check on whatever DDR3-1333 you find that you may want to toss in there.

Since anything modern would run circles around a Core2-era computer, I wouldn't bother upgrading memory on those antiques unless you can get compatible 4GB DIMMs for really cheap.
What are my options for getting enough memory
most basic laptops, notebooks, etc do not use a dedicated graphics card, just onboard iGPU.

the available video memory depends on how much system memory is shared
or with some older models i worked with used video memory integrated into the motherboard which usually only provided up to ~1GB.

there are external "eGPUs" available but i've never heard of people having much luck with them for the price they cost.
try shopping around and researching those some and see if customer reviews mention them helping out in a similar scenario to yours.

or if you can find an option to increase shared memory for video that may help some.

InvalidError

Titan
If you get video output from motherboard video connectors, you are using chipset integrated graphics which uses system memory. In that case, the only way to solve your low memory issue would be to upgrade system memory.

Major OEMs sometimes have very limited memory compatibility, so you will need to make sure to run a compatibility check on whatever DDR3-1333 you find that you may want to toss in there.

Since anything modern would run circles around a Core2-era computer, I wouldn't bother upgrading memory on those antiques unless you can get compatible 4GB DIMMs for really cheap.

Solution

dahermit

Honorable
Sep 29, 2015

The System Information reports 8 GB. I would think that would be enough?

However, after perusing the low price on HP refurb computers out there, it seems foolish not to just buy a better refurb than those 6000 series. For the most part, refurbs fill my needs inasmuch as I am not a power user... only access the internet, (pay bills, order groceries, special interest forums et. al.). Never play games or watch movies on computer. As a side note, considering my age and health condition, I don't think I will need any newer computer that will handle Windows 11...10 is likely to last me my lifetime. I will be 82 in Oct. 2025 when they stop supporting Win 10.

So I guess I have my answers and options. Thanks guys.

InvalidError

Titan
I'm a little surprised Earth complains about having low memory on 8GB, unless it checks GPU memory and gets confused by the IGP reporting something like 32MB. If that is what it is getting hung up on, you could try going into BIOS to change the GPU reserved memory size to 256MB-1GB if there is an option for it in there.

I haven't looked, though I suspect there is no shortage of quite decent refurbed office PCs in the i5-4440 through i7-4790 range right about now due to the number of offices upgrading their stuff to better accommodate work-from-home over the last two years and the broad selection of vastly superior components that has become available over the last three years. Those should be pretty decent basic everyday use boxes for the foreseeable future.