Not enough Molex connectors for Graphics Card?

KloudAlpha

Reputable
May 24, 2014
I recently bought a Radeon R9 280 to go along with my budget build (http://pcpartpicker.com/user/KloudAlpha/saved/PfzZxr) Since It's a lot more high powered card than my Nvidia GT 740, it requires to be plugged into the PSU, but I have a slight problem.
My GPU came with 2 extra plugs as seen below
molex-6pcie__84382_zoom.jpg

4ddc9612_k-pcie-molex_main.jpeg

as you can see, there are 4 total Molex plugs, but my PSU only has 3 total that I can find, what am I suppose to do? I spent my only $220 holiday money on this card and can't afford anything else.

Solution
The PSU will run it but not for long. That PSU is complete crap and is why it is $12 on newegg but that does not solve anything. You can get a molex splitter like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812198025.
I do not reccomend this myself because it has a high chance of blowing your PSU which could blow something else, but it could be a temporary solution. I recommend getting a better PSU.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you power supply probably does not have enough power to run that video card. the 280 needs 250 watts minimum and it sounds like your psu won't be good enough. since you don't have the pcie connectors (what the molex adapters are trying to create) nor enough molex connectors, this tells me it is just too low powered to work.

what psu you do have just to verify but the answer is already pretty obvious. sorry but it looks like you will need a new power supply for that card.

gilbadon

Distinguished
The PSU will run it but not for long. That PSU is complete crap and is why it is $12 on newegg but that does not solve anything. You can get a molex splitter like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812198025.
I do not reccomend this myself because it has a high chance of blowing your PSU which could blow something else, but it could be a temporary solution. I recommend getting a better PSU.

Solution

KloudAlpha

Reputable
May 24, 2014

I have a Logisys 480W PSU.. this sucks because I spent all my holiday money on this card..

KloudAlpha

Reputable
May 24, 2014

I bought it when before i was experienced with PC's (obviously i'm not experienced but i am a lot more then) because some YTer said PSU's didn't matter, I realize that is now invalid. I'll get that adapter since I already sold my other gpu and keep everything on the downlow until i can afford a new PSU..

Jake Lloyd

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
Yeah as Math said, that PSU isn't going to work with your setup. I also wouldn't use that PSU in any custom build. They may just seem like something you use to power your stuff, but they're much more important then that and something I wouldn't skimp on.

If you really had to save the money and couldn't send it back and get a decent PSU ($80) or so, then you could send back the GPU and get a different one that will work for you. You may just bottleneck the R9 with that CPU anyways.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i would not even try to run that card with that psu even for a day. not having the right connectors is the first clue that it is not strong enough to run the card.

that card at 250w plus the rest of the system will just not work with that psu. you will have to return the card for a less power hungry one like an r9-270 or beg/borrow some cash for a new psu. here are a few good choices at around $50 http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/compare/evga-power-supply-100b10600kr%2Cseasonic-power-supply-m12ii620bronze%2Cxfx-power-supply-xfxts550w/

the evga is your budget "good enough" option and the other 2 are the high quality desired models.

i'm sorry but there is just no way to run on that psu with that card.

Jake Lloyd

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
Please don't split the molex cables on that PSU to run a GPU, those adapters were for running extra fans, maybe a disk drive. Best case is the PSU is built right and it simply won't power the GPU. Worst case is you get to meet your local fire department.