[SOLVED] Not enough power at start?

Nov 17, 2019
Hi, this is a sort of continuation of this thread https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/pc-dont-start.3545527/

I have a PC with this specs

CPU: Intel i9-9900K
COOLER: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid ML240L RGB
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 TI Black
RAM: DDR4 T-Force Nighthawk 4x8 GB
HDD: Western Digital WDC WD2000FYYZ 2TB
SSD: Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB
MOBO: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC
PSU: TT ToughPower GF1 850W
CASE: TT VIEW37 ARGB

The conclusion was the stock fan controller of the case couldn't deliver enough power to the 3 fans: 2 x 200mm and 1 x 120mm., because of that I don't use them anymore and until now the PC starts correctly, so I thought the cause was effectively the controller.

But I remembered when I got the PC there was no problem. The original configuration was all the components listed above (with the 3 fans and the controller), except for two 120mm fans of the cooler CPU (the builder considered it wasn't necessary since the two 200mm frontal fans could keep the radiator cooled). I didn't agree and I installed those fans in the radiator. After that the problems began.

I tested the original configuration and the PC started, so I think now the PSU can't deliver enough power to start five fans at the same time (2 x 200mm frontal, 1 x 120mm back, 2 x 120 mm cooler). Can this be true? The 200mm. fans have 0,47A rated current each one and the 120mm., 0.3A rated current each one. Maybe at start they do need more power to spin?

Should I upgrade the PSU?

Thanks.

Solution
Easy test. Remove the graphics card and connect your display to the on-board output of the motherboard.
Reconnect your fans and boot the system.

If it boots normally, then it's likely a power supply issue. If you still experience issues, then it's probably something else.

How old is the ThermalTake unit? More than a couple of years and I'd probably consider replacing it anyway with a quality 750watt PSU.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Easy test. Remove the graphics card and connect your display to the on-board output of the motherboard.

If it boots normally, then it's likely a power supply issue. If you still experience issues, then it's probably something else.

How old is the ThermalTake unit? More than a couple of years and I'd probably consider replacing it anyway with a quality 750watt PSU.

-Wolf sends

Reactions: Raznode
Solution
Nov 17, 2019

-Wolf sends
Ok, I'll try that.
The PSU is one month old.

Nov 17, 2019
Well, I tested the PC with no GPU and is the same.

I installed a second MF200R RGB fan, and the PC starts correctly, so the problem isn't the PSU but the fan controller.

Thanks.