Not enough power from USB 3.0?

akiranyo

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
Greetings.
I just purchased a new external drive - ADATA HC630 1TB and finally also a enough long cable reach to the USB 3.0 ports on the back of my PC. As I copied a few Gigs onto the new HDD noticed a clicking sound from it and the speed didn't reached what a 3.0 should really be. After some search on Google I found that is a sign that is probably due that it doesn't gets enough power from the USB to fully spin up. I tried also my previously bought drive, a ADATA NH13 and the same sound happens. Both drives work normal in USB 2.0 ports. Tried different cables (Belkin, Roline, USB cable packed with the drives) but the same clicking sounds happens by each. So I might think that the USB 3.0 port in on fault as long those drives are new and never noticed any problem with them, though I used always the 2.0 ports as long they where more comfy to reach.
Unfortunately, I don't have other 3.0 ports to try there.

have the following configuration:

CPU: i3 Core Sandy Bridge 2
RAM: 8GB/1333
MB: ASUS Z68 V-LX
HDD: WD green 1TB
VGA: ASUS GeForce GTS450
PSU: Seasonic 400W Bronze 80plus

PS. Doesn't noticed it by my Silicon Power A15, also the speed is faster as by those two. Is possible that it has lower consumption?

popatim

Titan
If you have tried this cable in a usb2 port and it works with this drive then I'm going to refer you to Asus to find out why their usb3 port isn't supplying the 4.5w of power usb3 ports are supposed to deliver. A usb2 port is spec'd at 2.5w.

ps - was this cable you bought an active usb3 cable? Because those would use the power of the usb cable and deliver little or none to the end device.