Question Not Enough Power ? Hardware failure ?

David Serebrov

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
Hi there,
Few months ago I have upgraded my old system to a new one but kept few parts of it.
Since the upgrade I'm getting WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
The old components are:
I3-6100, Asus Pro Gaming B150, GTX960 SSC 4GB, 4x4GB HyperX DDR3 and 500/550W PSU (I don't remember the exact number)
The new components are
I5-9600K, Asus Z390-H, 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 and the same GPU and PSU.
Any Ideas why it's happening ?

Since you changed from an I3 to an I5 processor you probably need to update your Windows drivers. These drivers get loaded when you do the initial install. You might be able to upgrade them by doing a "Repair Install". If that doesn't work you'll need to a fresh install as noted above. Also make sure your BIOS is up to date.

David Serebrov

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
The PSU probably isn't the cause here, but it's important to know what PSU you have and replace it if it's a junk one, even if it hasn't completely killed anything yet.

Did you do a full fresh install of Windows?
I have installed fresh windows but it was right after I built the PC. I forgot to write it but the GPU was stupidly overclocked, but there is a switch for 2nd bios like GB has (mine is EVGA) and I used it to change to the second bios.
Maybe that's the problem ? Or is it the PSU, the power supply is with me since like 2014...
Edit: I'm pretty sure I have Zalman PSU but I cannot confirm it as I'm not home and I never bought this PSU, I got it from a friend who is also owned it for like year or two, that's why I don't remember.

David Serebrov

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
Since you changed from an I3 to an I5 processor you probably need to update your Windows drivers. These drivers get loaded when you do the initial install. You might be able to upgrade them by doing a "Repair Install". If that doesn't work you'll need to a fresh install as noted above. Also make sure your BIOS is up to date.
I have installed fresh copy of windows right after upgrading the pc.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I have installed fresh windows but it was right after I built the PC. I forgot to write it but the GPU was stupidly overclocked, but there is a switch for 2nd bios like GB has (mine is EVGA) and I used it to change to the second bios.
Maybe that's the problem ? Or is it the PSU, the power supply is with me since like 2014...
Edit: I'm pretty sure I have Zalman PSU but I cannot confirm it as I'm not home and I never bought this PSU, I got it from a friend who is also owned it for like year or two, that's why I don't remember.

You'll need to look at it, then. "Zalman" isn't enough, as with any brand that sells power supplies. They sell some decent ones and some awful ones, more towards the latter if we're talking 2014.

I'd also try running on one stick of RAM and removing the GPU entirely and running off integrated graphics.

David Serebrov

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
You'll need to look at it, then. "Zalman" isn't enough, as with any brand that sells power supplies. They sell some decent ones and some awful ones, more towards the latter if we're talking 2014.

I'd also try running on one stick of RAM and removing the GPU entirely and running off integrated graphics.
Ok, I'll try to run with the iGPU first and then with one stick of ram and will reply.

David Serebrov

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015

Hi, I tried running the PC without the GPU and everything worked fine till I put back the GPU. When the GPU is in the PC the error starts again... As I said the GPU was stupidly overclocked, maybe this is the reason ?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hi, I tried running the PC without the GPU and everything worked fine till I put back the GPU. When the GPU is in the PC the error starts again... As I said the GPU was stupidly overclocked, maybe this is the reason ?

What do you mean by stupidly overclocked? If you were overclocking the GPU, one would think that undoing the overclock would be the first thing to do when facing problems.

Hard to say much more without knowing the exact PSU, but I'll post in this thread again if the information is ever provided.

David Serebrov

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
What do you mean by stupidly overclocked? If you were overclocking the GPU, one would think that undoing the overclock would be the first thing to do when facing problems.

Hard to say much more without knowing the exact PSU, but I'll post in this thread again if the information is ever provided.
I don't remember what was done with the OC settings.
I checked the PSU brand and I was wrong, it is not Zalman PSU but HuntKey 550W unit.
Anyway, without the GPU the computer runs perfectly without any BSOD's.

David Serebrov

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
Now that's frightening. That's pretty much garbage tier. Can't do much further to diagnose with a junk PSU complicating things.
I am planning to replace my PSU anyway, but I still wonder why this is happening only when the GPU installed and why is it happening even though MSI AfterBurner shows stock speeds and anything... That's what kills me, that it's only happening with the GPU installed. The thing is that the problem was right after the oc and then it disappeared but about week and a half ago when I reassembled the pc after cleaning it from dust it came back...

David Serebrov

Reputable
Aug 6, 2015
Now that's frightening. That's pretty much garbage tier. Can't do much further to diagnose with a junk PSU complicating things.
Any answers to the reply below mate ?
I am planning to replace my PSU anyway, but I still wonder why this is happening only when the GPU installed and why is it happening even though MSI AfterBurner shows stock speeds and anything... That's what kills me, that it's only happening with the GPU installed. The thing is that the problem was right after the oc and then it disappeared but about week and a half ago when I reassembled the pc after cleaning it from dust it came back...