Not enough resources error

csebasti

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2012
I recently finished building my first computer, and all seems to be going well, but I have run into one issue. First, here is what I have:

CPU = i7-3770k (not overclocked yet)
MOBO = Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
RAM = G.SKILL Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 1600
OS = Win 7 Pro 64-bit

It started right up on the first try, and all seemed good. I was browsing through the BIOS, and saw that all 16GB was recognized, but the RAM was at 1333, so I manually changed it to 1600 as it should have been. I did not change the timings, though I probably should. Do I need to go in there and change all the timing settings too?

But here's the real issue I'm having. I think maybe the above is related, but not sure. I installed Office 2010 Pro, and it works fine. Until I tried to open a couple excel files that my wife uses for work on her old work laptop. They were running real slow, so I told her to use the new computer. File A opens fine. File B has SUMPRODUCT equations which are slow to calculate, and those equations have external references to File A. File B works on her laptop, but is very slow at calculating. When I try to open it on my new build, I get an error saying excel ran out of resources and cannot calculate the equations. I can't figure out what the problem is, but it seems it must be RAM related.

Any ideas what could be causing this? With these two files open, Excel is using just under 1GB of RAM. Its almost like it's limiting itself to 1 GB. Could it possibly be related to having Win 7 64-bit, but office only being installed as 32-bit?

Chris