Not enough space for NH-D15 (i7 8700k)

spydafx

Prominent
Aug 31, 2018
I know there are tons of threads like this but I asked that because none answered my specific case.
In short, I need an air cooler, everyone recommended me to go for Noctua (pretty sure NH-D15) and not Arctic, so I listened, and now I checked the specs and it says the height of this cooler is 165mm while in my case it says max cooler height is 165mm.. so.. for the record I have 5 case fans and tons of free space (I have no cd reader) (my case is sharkoon sgc1) but still, I’m concerned it won’t fit, so I have 2 questions, will it fit?, and if not, is there is a alternative for this cooler if I want to overclock probably 24/7 just to turbo boost (4.7Ghz) and remain with good temps? (Most uses in my pc will be for playing League Of Legends and sometimes render with c4d/ae)
(My motherboard is z370-A pro by msi if that matters)

** Note : Water cooling is not an option for me.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The NH-D15S is 160mm. It's the same as a NH-D15 in ability, but uses an offset base for better ram clearance and overall height.

Also, case manufacturers state the largest cooler recommendation, there's usually a varying degree of space left, sometimes as little as 1mm, sometimes like the Corsair Spec-04 it's case is 150mm, but will still fit a 160mm hyper 212.

They just don't want you to hit the side.