Not Enough Space on Drive: "930GB free" on 250GB SD Card, but Can't Fit >45GB?

Mar 3, 2018
I can't store more than about 45GB on my new 250GB SD card because when I try, the Computer says "There is not enough space on Local Disk. You need an additional 7.08 GB to copy these files; Local Disk; Space Free: 42.5GB; Total Size: 930GB"
Why is it saying I have 930GB on my 250GB SD card?
Something strange just like this happened before when I tried to put data on my 1TB Seagate portable HDD. It gave me the same message. I was never able to resolve that problem and ended up giving up on the HDD. It's as if this error message is left over from the last issue.
I tried formatting both drives, both a quick format and a slow, and neither solved the issue. I tried switching from exFAT to NTFS and NTFS to exFAT (the SD card wouldn't let me do NTFS). I tried using Command Prompt to do this special kind of format a TH member recommended and it didn't work.
Incidentally my C drive is a Seagate TB Hybrid Drive, but there's nothing wrong with my C or my 500GB D drive as far as I can tell.
I'm running Windows 10 Home 64-bit on a Samsung Series 7 Gamer from 2013 that is in excellent health with no known viruses (I do amature PC repair so I keep my computer clean). 24 GB RAM, Intel i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, 1 socket, 4 cores, 8 processors. My GPU is an AMD Radeon HD 7800M series with the latest drivers. Wi-Fi works.
I've tried multiple SD card adapters and I just downloaded the latest RealTech drivers for SD card reading because it wasn't recognizing before.
I also just tested another 64GB SD card I know to be working perfectly. I formatted it in both exFAT and NTFS, and in both cases it now can't hold more than than 42.5GB.

I think I found the source of the problem: I put the SD cards and the portable HDD into another computer (Win 10 Home, 64-bit, i7 Dell Laptop) and they were able to hold more than 42GB. They were able to copy over tons of files and they worked normally. I tried formating the 250GB SD card there and I brought it back to my original computer hoping the format from the Dell would fix the issue, but it didn't, I still can't transfer over more than 42GB. It must be a problem with the computer and not the external drives. Then I went into My PC and found that I only had 42GB left on my C Drive. So that must be it. I can't copy over more GB than I have room left in my C Drive.

I guess my question is why can't I copy over more than what's left on my C Drive if it's all ending up on an external drive? Is it a problem with my computer or is it because I have a hybrid drive or is that how all computers work? At the beginning of this writing, I still hadn't found it out, but as I wrote, I thought of some things I could try and they led me to the solution. I wanted to post this anyway just in case there were others out there dealing with the same issue and because I am curious about why this limitation exists.

Thank you for your time, sorry for being wordy, I just wanted people out there in the same situation to be able to recognize their own situation in this one.

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
"...I tried formating the 250GB SD card there..." If I follow the cool story correctly, you attempted to format the SD in another computer; what was the results of that attempted format on that other computer?

Mar 3, 2018
Sorry for the late reply. It was a SanDisk Ultra Micro SD XC I. In short, I found that if you can't copy over your files to any kind of external drive, it might be because you don't have enough HDD space free on your C Drive to make the transfer because apparently you need enough empty hdd space to copy stuff over, at least, to an extent. I don't know how important it is that it is your C Drive vs. any drive vs. the origin drive and I don't know if there is a threshold where you no longer need more room on your C drive than the file has GB. Formating in the other computer didn't make a difference. It wasn't the SD Card's fault that the files couldn't transfer, as far as I can tell.m It works now, point being. Just delete some programs/files for a while then redownload them once you're done transferring. Does anyone know the answers to these other questions that came up, like just the C drive or all drive, etc.?