[SOLVED] not enough speed from Powerline adaptor recommendation on AP

drakon3rd

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Hi All, i have a gigabit network with verizon and i am using Powerline adaptor to connect my PC to the router and i am only get around 30-45 mbps on it. i wanted to know what would be the best option for me? i am thinking about getting an access point so i can get a better signal in the basement (thats were my pc is) and also wanted to get a PCI-E card for my PC since old one is broken and wanted to know what would be the best options for me? any recommendation?

hardwiring is currently is not an option

Thanks

Solution
Quick question, what powerline adapter are you using?

The older generations had a much bigger issue with crossing circuits than current generations. Current gen also generally have better speeds, at least in my personal experience.

Additionally, they can be incredibly picky about which outlet they're on. When I was setting my setup between rooms I was noticing huge testing differences on different outlets on the same circuit. Simply going to a different outlet in your room may change things. And as Dugimodo said, you want to make try and have them on their own outlet, and don't put them on any kind of power strip. If they must share an outlet, try not to have anything that causes excessive noise on the line. Fans, for instance, are...

Dugimodo

Distinguished
An access point still needs a wired connection back to the router and will have the same speed limitation.
Hard wiring is the way, so if it's not an option you may be stuck with your current speed.

If your powerline adapters are on a multiboard that will cause issues, they Ideally should be on their own outlet or if shared they should be the pass through type with an outlet on them.

any gigabit nic would be fine.

I would go with something like an asus router and setup a media bridge or a wireless repeater. both will give you gigabit out of the LAN ports on it and then if you connect it to the 5GHz given it isn't too far you can get pretty decent speeds. Def faster than 30-45 for sure. I have gotten 300+ off that kind of setup on a 400 meg connection.

Quick question, what powerline adapter are you using?

The older generations had a much bigger issue with crossing circuits than current generations. Current gen also generally have better speeds, at least in my personal experience.

Additionally, they can be incredibly picky about which outlet they're on. When I was setting my setup between rooms I was noticing huge testing differences on different outlets on the same circuit. Simply going to a different outlet in your room may change things. And as Dugimodo said, you want to make try and have them on their own outlet, and don't put them on any kind of power strip. If they must share an outlet, try not to have anything that causes excessive noise on the line. Fans, for instance, are one of the worst things to share an outlet with a EoP adapter.

Solution