slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Quick question for you folks. I recently picked up an old NEC Versa LX laptop for dirt cheap because it was fairly damaged. With the help of creative tinkering and the use of a little epoxy, I was able to reattach the screen and repair the body damage. (Though until I order some new hinges, the screen moves way too freely and thus won't stay in place.) So it more or less <i>looks</i> good now. But it won't boot up. No lights go on and it won't post when I plug it in and turn it on.

My first thought is of course of the power supply. It gets hot <i>really</i> quickly, which seems bad to me. (Is that normal?) Primarily though, I was wondering if anyone knew of a reason other than the power supply that might prevent it from, well, doing <i>anything</i> to indicate that it's even receiving power? I mean were the mobo or CPU damaged (or if I plugged in the screen or keyboard wrong) then shouldn't something somewhere at least give me an error?

:evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
<font color=red><i>The Devil made me do it, but I <b>liked</b> it.</i></font color=red>
@ 196K of 200K!

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I've known dead CPUS give no POST, but they still - usually - kind of 'try' to boot up (fans go, etc). No idea about a laptop though, although I've generally found my purchasing in that area gravitates towards <i>functional</i> products...[/completely unnecessary] :tongue:

It's a DC transformer for the power supply I take it? I assume you've checked the voltage it's supplying is right?

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
but they still - usually - kind of 'try' to boot up
See, that was what I was thinking too. I mean even if it can't post, the power light should still come on, I would think. :\ Rebuilding the case and monitor took all of my time last night, so I haven't really gotten that far in trying to get it to run yet. Since I'm at work and it's at home right now, I just figured I'd throw the question out there and see if anyone had any interesting thoughts for me to consider when I do get home.

although I've generally found my purchasing in that area gravitates towards functional products
Heh heh. Yeah. Usually me too. Though I had a damned time trying to order parts to fix my P133 a number of years ago, and those were <i>supposed</i> to be functioning products that I was paying for.

Ah, the joy of PC auctions at work whenever our IT department's closet gets too full. I've picked up all sorts of fun old crap for sinfully low prices. Usually they work. This laptop came with a docking bay, so I have a feeling that if I set it up with that and a monitor, it'll probably work that way. But I haven't gotten that far yet.

It's a DC transformer for the power supply I take it? I assume you've checked the voltage it's supplying is right?
Right, and no. I seem to have misplaced my electronics toolbox. :( Goodness only knows where I last left it. Hopefully I at least left it at home. :\ Otherwise I may have to buy a few new things. **ROFL** So, no, I haven't actually checked that it's even providing voltage, not to mention the 15V/4A that it's meant to.

And would you believe that two bloody screen hinges are going to cost <A HREF="http://www.pchub.com/uph/catf/showitem.aspx?catid=90&iid=7036" target="_new">over twenty bucks</A>? I think I'm going to have to try something a little less standard from Ace Hardware or something. I may have to grind something into shape with my dremmel tool, but damn it, I'm not paying twenty bucks just for a bloody pair of hinges.

<font color=red><i>The Devil made me do it, but I <b>liked</b> it.</i></font color=red>
@ 196K of 200K!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Actually, a bunch of old PCs are going to go to charity as soon as I get them all running. But this laptop was hopefully going to be for either writing novels on or running a fishy cam and home radio station, depending on how fixed up I could get it.

@ 196K of 200K!

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
If you need some parts, let me know. I have a few old laptops that dont work any longer but most of the components should be fine. If I have something you need as long as you will pay the shipping your welcome to whatever you need.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

<A HREF="http://valid.x86-secret.com/records.php?PHPSESSID=792e8f49d5d9b8a4d1ad6f40ca029756" target="_new">#2 CPUZ</A>
SuperPI 25secs

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the offer, mozzartusm. That's damn decent of you. With luck it's nothing big. The hinges are the only mechanical problem remaining as far as I can tell, and I have high hopes for jerry-rigging that. The hard part will diagnosing the reason for it being DOA if it's not the AC adapter. I also have a dead P133 laptop that I might be able to steal parts from. But I've got so much else going on right now that I really can't say how dedicated I'll be to getting it up and running. :\ There's just never enough time.

@ 196K of 200K!