Not fully impressed with my GE Force 2 Ultra

G

I've noticed it is running on IRQ 11, so is my LAN card...could this be causing problems....Is there a good Benchmark test I can do to see how my card is performing to others.

=Quantum
AO Admin
The Dr.Twister Network
http://ao.drtwister.com

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Neither am I. While the speed is good, image quality is NOT ANY BETTER THAN MY OLD RIVA 128ZX! This sucks! I thought that I would be getting better image quality with that extra speed!

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

tartarhus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Put your network card in a different pci slot. You don't want any irq conflicts with your video card. Avoid sound card conflicts as well. The conflicts probably won't be too detrimental with newer games, on newer motherboards, with newer OSs, but with old games on old boards, with win98, big problems will surface everywhere.

G

moving the network card will probly and i realy dout it will do anything since communication irq's are 10 and 11 not video seems to be something those nvidia things like to do. i would get rid of and burn the gf card and get a real card like the radeon 64 or upcoming radeon 2 so far picture quality (dont go WHAT ABOUT GAMES) im talking about clearity and 2d dvd and all that stuff. is way better on a ati card hands down. its like nvidia has got intels agenda on pricing and i should say over pricing there crap.

Computer Shop owner and Head tech.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Blade2G on 05/24/01 07:32 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

polaris

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
Do you have an Elsa as well?
I have identical system as QuantumDTN, but with Hercules GF2Ultra and no probs... yet! 3dMark2000=9210 :D?

However a friend has just ordered an Elsa and after reading these posts wondering if he'll get same problems...
Will know in a week or 2 I guess
Let us know if you comeup with something/solve irq prob. - meantime i'll read some other boards...
eg: the-ctrl-alt-del.com

“I’m not afraid of the unknown. The stuff we already know is what scares me”

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm using a generic GTS with the same PCB layout as the Elsa (both use nVidia's reference design) but slower memory and clock speed.
I do not have any configuration problems with it, I was simply refering to his suject line in that I not mot fully impressed with the Geforce 2. Ultra or GTS, they come with the same crappy video quality (same chip, just a different speed). One thing I am happy with is the speed. But while it is MUCH faster than my Radeon, my Radeon has much better texture quality. And I am not even happy with the texture quality of the Radeon. If the Radeon could use some improvement in texture quality, the Geforce has a lot further to go. Waiting to see if the GeForce 3 will be a big leap forward.

polaris

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
Likewise ok with the speed but yeah, the visual enhancement doesn't grab you.
What's the 'simplistic' answer to image quality improvement?
Some(no)ideas:
a) additional (card)RAM for increased texture availability
b) lower memory access time
c) drivers use Open GL

Limiters?
a) DX7 not supporting some render capabilities?
b) Monitor resolution capability limitations at card fps
c) driver algorithms more speed intensive than colour blending oriented

have seen some demo pictures of GF3 screen shots and they did look good in caparision to my GF2Ultra but hard for me to judge without side by side monitors.

Don't fully understand why Radeon/kyroII is supposed to be smoother - are the texture blending processes better in the hard ware or drivers (or both)

hope this makes (any) sense -as I'm 1/2 asleep at the mo.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Environmental Bump Mapping is where I see the biggest advantage of the Radeon over the Geforce2. I think the Radeon is about half-way-there towards making realistic appearence, while the Geforce is maybe half that good. But the Radeon is so damned slow! I think it is the hardware, and drivers of course, but you can only provide drivers for the hardware!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Maybe the Radeon2 or the Radeon2 Max will be the ticket for real speed as in >60FPS with FSAA and Max Anisotropic filtering and plus any other new type of filtering that ATI incorporates making the 3d Quality the best there ever was at 1280x1024x32. For me the Radeon is plenty fast enough but then again I am not a hard core gamer on line, well at least yet.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
None of my gamse can push my cards either. Even the Radeon runs them at 1600x1200. And these games do not offer any "enhancements" for new technology that would make the images look more realistic. So why do I complain? Becasue the games can only follow the HARDWARE technology. If HARDWARE was up to the higher standard, the games would follow!