Question Not getting 4k 60Hz Option while using HDMI 2.0

May 16, 2020
Hi, I've got a problem with a new Monitor i purchased a few days ago.

The Monitor is a Samsung U32R592CWU, which supports a refresh rate of 60Hz at 3840x2180. It came with a HDMI 2 cable.
My Laptop is a HP-Pavilion 15 (cs2101ng) running Win10, which should (!) have a HDMI 2 output, at least thats what is advertised. It also should (!) support DisplayPort over USB-C.
Thing is, the maximum option when connecting the Laptop to the Monitor via HDMI is 4k@30Hz. When I try to connect via DisplayPort (via this cable), nothing happens, the Laptop does not recognize the Display (yes, I also changed the Monitor's input channel).
I tried multiple things:
  • Connecting an Ubuntu 18.04 Intel NUK to the Monitor: The little thing gets 4k@60Hz with both cables, no questions asked. I did not change any monitor setting for this to work.
  • LiveUSB Ubuntu from my Laptop: No 60Hz Option with HDMI, nothing happens over Displayport, same as Windows.
  • Uninstall NVidia Drivers, upgrade Intel Graphics Drivers, fresh Windows Install, upgrade BIOS.
  • I tried to use the NVidia chip for the Display (over the NVidia control Panel), did not get the display adaptor to run on anything other than the Intel Chip.
From the things I tried I think the only Explanation for why im not getting 4k@60hz is that my Laptop's HDMI is not 2.0 and the USB-C does not support DisplaPort (even if HP says so).
Did I miss something or is there anything else I did not think about?

May 16, 2020
Well, now that I looked at the official HP-thingy, yes, it's not.
Guess I looked it up at the wrong place or got something mixed up.

Is there any other way to get to 4k@60Hz though? USB-C to HDMI2.0 Adapter maybe or will that not be possible too, because it's not Thunderbolt?

TRENDING THREADS