Not getting all of my internet's potential. (tried many solutions but nothing has worked)

lp-loitz

Commendable
Jul 17, 2018
Ok so I’m at a loss here and I feel like I’ve done everything but I have to be missing something. Just got mediacom 1gb internet and I use a cat 6 Ethernet cable. Right off the bat I wasn’t getting anything over 100mbps but I used the same Ethernet cable on my buddies computer and he was getting 800mbps. I went through all my setting and made sure the computer was setup to run 1gig and it is. I use an MSI 970 Krait edition motherboard. The controller is the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller. I’ve updated all the drivers still nothing. I’ve gone into the network settings and turned off all the eco modes and whatnot under the advanced tab and nothing. I’ve searched high and low and I can’t find a solution. By the end of doing all that I was getting a little over 100mbps. My buddies computer was a 500$ prebuilt and I built a 1400$ Computer myself so I feel like I may have missed something. I should be able to get what he gets....

Well somewhere along the pipe, it seems to be running 10/100 and not 1g.

So your job is to verify, one hop at a time, that indeed there are 1g connection throughout.

1. Modem to router/switch, sign on to either pieces, does the NIC show 1g connection?
2. U upgraded your 10/100 switch to 1g a while back, do the status LED say you are connecting at 1g?
3. Mobo built-in NIC sometimes picky and wants the driver from the Mobo's vendor, NOT Microsoft.

Are there anything else connected to this LAN and works?

lp-loitz

Commendable
Jul 17, 2018
I don’t think it would be anything with the router/modem since my roommate was able to get the right speeds off of it. Plus it’s the new 3.1 modem from mediacom made for the 1g network. The LED switch glows orange which tells me it’s set to 1g. For number 3, how would I go about that?

lp-loitz

Commendable
Jul 17, 2018
Decided to hook up my wireless card to my computer to check that out. My phone gets roughly 250mbps on wireless and this wireless card is pushing out the exact same mbps as my Ethernet. Right at that 90-110mbps. So clearly something is wrong here. It’s a top of the line wireless card that is capable of the same speeds as my iPhone. Also I tried to apply just the Microsoft driver for my Ethernet and that didn’t work either. Uninstalled the motherboard one and used the wireless to download the Microsoft driver and nothing, still the same.

lp-loitz

Commendable
Jul 17, 2018
I'm using 4 tests right now. Which I used the same 4 tests on my roommates computer as well. Using an app which is the speedtest.net version. Also using speedtest.xfinity.com, speakeasy.net/speedtest, and spectrum.com/internet/speed-test.html. All of these speed tests give me slightly different numbers because they pull form different locations but nothing even remotely close to what his computer gets or even over 250mbps. I get a range of roughly 90 to 230mbps. My wireless runs at almost exactly the same but maybe more like 70-200mbps. I ran out of ideas of what to even search anymore lol. I was going to go and get a network adapter to plug into one of my usb ports but with my wireless card not even producing higher numbers I don't really think that's the issue here. I have the mediacom tech coming over Saturday, but I can't image he will be able to solve anything since connections are stable on most devices.