[SOLVED] Not getting enough FPS on my Streaming/Gaming PC. Any Advice on FIX?

Wheels321

Reputable
Apr 4, 2015
Hi so I'm a small time streamer and Im having trouble getting a steady 144 fps when im streaming. Theoretically I want to run 244hz or higher but for now my monitor is only 144hz. I believe my streaming setting are already optimized so I think my hardware is what is preventing me. I would prefer to spend less than 600 or 700 dollars but if something is truly out of date im willing to spend the money to replace it with something great. Specs Below and Thank you whoever is reading this for your time.

Windows 10
ASUS Z97X SLI motherboard
2x GeForce GTX 970
Intel i7-4790K @ 4.00 (it is not overclocked I think.. Im unsure how to do that)
16 GB RAM

Additional info:
Im running my cards in SLI mode with 3 outputs from one card. my main monitor (27" 144 HZ 1440p), an ultrawide monitor (34" 60hz 2560x1080p) and an Oculus Rift headset. although the rift headset is not on the majority of the time.

Solution
Monitor the performance using MSI afterburner's on screen display. This way we can determine what component is pegged at 100% utilization. I suspect you need a graphics card upgrade, but we should run benchmarks.
You do have an older yet capable cpu.... But that would be first order of change.

For now I think you should have a look at how to overclock. You'll get significant gains just from getting your cpu up to 4.5~4.7ghz mark (hopefully you have a decent cpu cooler). It's definitely noticeable by many people that the 4gen i7 can't run all games at 144 anymore (but still very satisfactory performance).

See how the overclock goes. By summertime AMD will have their 3rd Gen CPU out. Which will feature 7nm tech (big step). I would recommend for you to try sell your system then build up from New ryzen line. SLI support hasn't been that great for gaming lately either. So might as well get a single GPU setup. (I'm sure you've also seen the recently released RTX line, by the time you Buy your cpu, they should work out the glitches in their faulty design)

Wheels321

Reputable
Apr 4, 2015

Man Thank you so much for the advice I was honestly debating building a new rig at some point soon. Totally cool if you dont know but any advice on selling a rig like this? or more importantly any Idea on what a rig like mine might go for? I dont want to be greedy but also dont want to get ripped off. again thanks for the response.

PS My current monitor is gysnc though so i might have to skip the AMD cards.

Try it sgtScream suggestions as well, to confirm your systems performance.

And as per GPU, I was taking about RTX (which is the new Nvidia line, not RX - don't worry just clarifying).

For a system like yours, I would suggest to browse local Craigslist ads and get an idea that way. I live in Canada, so likely the prices that I would suggest will not reflect properly. But you should be able to get a good amount for it, i7 - 16gb Ram and SLI will draw some enthusiasts in. But I wouldn't know your pricing very well