[SOLVED] Not getting enough frames? Please help

Jul 30, 2020
Hi. I have a relatively new pc with relatively good specs. I have a i5-9400f with a rtx 2060 and 8gb ddr4 ram. However, on fortnite i only get 160 frames maximum and it drops down to 120 maximum in build fights. This is playing with everything on lowest settings, so something isn’t right, even i know that. When i watch people on youtube benchmark the same specs, they are getting well above 200 frames on the same settings so i’m a bit confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Solution

As it was mention before, those videos "shows" 16GB of RAM, most likely in dual channel configuration, any gamer knows that you want dual channel memory. Now will that fix the whole FPS issue, not soo sure, but is a start.
Also how clean your windows instalation is can also impact the FPS you are getting.
Do you run Fornite from an SSD, or a mechanical drive?, this can impact just a little bit how the game play and thus the FPS you see in the screen (honestly it will be really a small diference but...

Snoobaa

Reputable
Feb 13, 2020
I totally agree and i know that my ram is pretty bad compared to the overall specs of my pc, however surely that isn’t the reason i’m losing out on almost 80-100 frames? That’s a big difference.
I think you would be surprised. Only 8gb of Single Channel Ram would be a significant bottleneck in your system. You can get another stick of 8GB ram for relatively cheap and it would definitely increase your frames. If it doesn't do it to your full satisfaction, it would for sure be worth it because again, this is a pretty big bottleneck.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Low settings has nothing to do with fps. Settings are all gpu. There's some in-game settings that are cpu bound but they deal with object use, placement etc. Like floating damage or viewing distance. Everything else is graphics quality and gpu.

So if turning down detail levels really did nothing, that isn't a gpu issue, it's a 'cpu is capped out' issue.

That can be helped with game patches/updates, online settings tweaks, windows settings (disable Xbox DVR and game helper stuff) etc.

Other than that, most times fps levels are due to actual game updates and fixes enforced by game code to avoid cheaters.

Jul 30, 2020
Dude, youre here asking for help and you’re being given help to fix the glaring issue that is your 8 gigs of slow ram and you’re just denying it? Why even come ask in the first place if you deny people trying to help you lmao
It’s the ram
Bro, i’m 99.9% sure upgrading the speed of my ram a little will not double my frames😂😂. it isn’t anything to do with my hardware i know that for a fact, there is something that is making the pc not run to its full potential. These specs should be easily getting 200+ fps not 120

Bro, i’m 99.9% sure upgrading the speed of my ram a little will not double my frames😂😂. it isn’t anything to do with my hardware i know that for a fact, there is something that is making the pc not run to its full potential. These specs should be easily getting 200+ fps not 120
There are plenty of benchmarks comparing single and dual channel RAM and also speeds. 20-30% loss is definitely realistic. Now there might be something else contributing to lost performance but trying to find that when the system is being crippled by the RAM is going to be harder.

Reactions: RodroX
Jul 30, 2020
There are plenty of benchmarks comparing single and dual channel RAM and also speeds. 20-30% loss is definitely realistic. Now there might be something else contributing to lost performance but trying to find that when the system is being crippled by the RAM is going to be harder.
yeah but here my frames are half of what they should be, not 20-30%

johnsoner13

Respectable
Meant to say slow, single channel ram. And only 8 gigs. Going from single channel to dual channel will yield more benefits than simply faster ram. If you wanna wallow in sorrow instead of getting this very obvious issue fixed, be my guest.

As it was mention before, those videos "shows" 16GB of RAM, most likely in dual channel configuration, any gamer knows that you want dual channel memory. Now will that fix the whole FPS issue, not soo sure, but is a start.
Also how clean your windows instalation is can also impact the FPS you are getting.
Do you run Fornite from an SSD, or a mechanical drive?, this can impact just a little bit how the game play and thus the FPS you see in the screen (honestly it will be really a small diference but its there).

Anther thing, there are ways to disable some of the security mitigations affecting intel CPUs in Windows 10, this can also lead to a few extra FPS, not many as the RAM, but just a few. I do not recommend this.

Finally, how on earth do you know for sure that the guy on the video is actually runing the game on a Core i5 9400 + RTX 2060? Im not saying hes isn't, but it could be that he is not, and using in fact a higher tier CPU and GPU.
Just because MSI Afterburner OSD is showing theoretical "i5 9400F + RTX 2060" tags does not mean he has that on the system runing the game, you can rename those tags and write whatever you want.

For instance, the following is a fake image just to prove a point:
jezDVHs.jpg

Last edited:
Solution

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
When i watch people on youtube benchmark the same specs, they are getting well above 200 frames on the same settings

Well, the RAM issue shows that you do not have the same specs. 8GB RAM in single-channel mode is not even close to "the same specs" as 16GB RAM in dual-channel mode.

So, always be CERTAIN of:
  • the EXACT same specs
  • the EXACT same settings
  • the EXACT same scenes/areas in the game
.... and that the YouTube benchmarker isn't pulling anything funny.