[SOLVED] Not getting full download speed with cable

Mar 12, 2020
Hello

I have a 1000mbps up and down but im not getting my full speed even with a CAT6 cable. The max speed i get is around 350-400mbps. This problem is only occuring on my pc if i connect the cable to my laptop it just gives the full speed without any problems. I dont think that its because it doesnt support 1000mbps since the motherboard is pretty new. Its a MSI X470 GAMING PLUS with a ryzen 7 2700x. And the laptop is a MSI GL62 6QF. Ive already tried full duplex mode but that also didnt help. How can i fix this?

Solution
It is purely a process of elimination. If both those tests are good then it basically means it is not a true network issue and it likely is not some issue with you hard drive getting errors and slowing the transfer.

So now you need to start seeing if there is any pattern. Try different browsers and see if the speedtest is different. What happens when you download large files from say microsoft. Does steam or other game launcher download faster.

You could also boot a linux image off a USB stick and see if that is any different. It will quickly show you if it is a issue with windows rather than your machine itself.
Mar 12, 2020
it got a "gaming" lan. usually mean it prioritize some over other
I know that XD i just put in the motherboard name in there incase if its a common problem. Ofcourse manufacturers love to call their stuff gaming. Its just that i want this annoying problem fixed.

You need to start to eliminate stuff. You can try to copy files between your pc and your laptop. Copy very large files and do it both directions. The resource monitor network tab will show you the speeds.

Another options it to use a line mode program called iperf. You should see rates between the machines at over 900mbps in both directions. This program is very simple it only tests the network and the drivers. It is not affected by things like disk,cpu memory.

If this stuff works I would be blaming the browser or some other application software.

Mar 12, 2020
You need to start to eliminate stuff. You can try to copy files between your pc and your laptop. Copy very large files and do it both directions. The resource monitor network tab will show you the speeds.

Another options it to use a line mode program called iperf. You should see rates between the machines at over 900mbps in both directions. This program is very simple it only tests the network and the drivers. It is not affected by things like disk,cpu memory.

If this stuff works I would be blaming the browser or some other application software.
Ive tried that but it didnt really give much of a result.

It is purely a process of elimination. If both those tests are good then it basically means it is not a true network issue and it likely is not some issue with you hard drive getting errors and slowing the transfer.

So now you need to start seeing if there is any pattern. Try different browsers and see if the speedtest is different. What happens when you download large files from say microsoft. Does steam or other game launcher download faster.

You could also boot a linux image off a USB stick and see if that is any different. It will quickly show you if it is a issue with windows rather than your machine itself.

Solution
Mar 12, 2020
C:\Users\Mehme>wmic NIC where "NetEnabled='true'" get "Name","Speed"
Name Speed
Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller #2 1000000000
VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter 1000000000

This is what i get

Oct 7, 2019
Looks good. Start with making sure the Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller is up to date in Device Manager. While you're there make sure all drivers in the Network Adapters are up to date. Also, you might have VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter drivers interfering with Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller drivers. Disable/uninstall VirtualBox drivers in Device manager first and than try speedtest, restart if you haven't already.
You should have VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter#2 and Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller as 1.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2020
Looks good. Start with making sure the Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller is up to date in Device Manager. While you're there make sure all drivers in the Network Adapters are up to date. Also, you might have VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter drivers interfering with Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller drivers. Disable/uninstall VirtualBox drivers in Device manager first and than try speedtest, restart if you haven't already.
You should have VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter#2 and Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller as 1.
I did check if the driver was uptodate and everything seems to be fine

Oct 7, 2019
Try Disabling Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller and use Virtual Box as your network Drivers. I can't seem to think Realtek would be the issue but worth trying

Oct 7, 2019
You must have a Docsis 3.1 modem to get the Gigabyte speed. (I understand that Docsis 3.0 will give you an upgrade with a speed boost, but in order to get the maximum speed, you need Docsis 3.1.) I think you will get up to 330 MB with Docsis 3.0

Mar 12, 2020
You must have a Docsis 3.1 modem to get the Gigabyte speed. (I understand that Docsis 3.0 will give you an upgrade with a speed boost, but in order to get the maximum speed, you need Docsis 3.1.) I think you will get up to 330 MB with Docsis 3.0
I kinda found the problem the lights are red and orange.

Mar 12, 2020
And i am running a cable from my modem its a zyxel modem.