Question Not getting full internet speed

Jul 12, 2019
Hey there, on my gaming rig im not getting my full 250mbps however if i connect my laptop to the same cable it works fine. My pc is only getting about 130/140mbps. What have i tried? Updating windows, Updating the drivers, resetting all internet related settings(Yes it is on full duplex 1gbps), restarting the router, replacing the router. (and obv ive searched google. But I still havent found a fix. Does anyone have a clue what is going on? Im running Windows 10 64bit 18362. the problem started this week.

EDIT; I have a feeling it has something to do with the new version of windows.

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 2600x
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62
GPU: MSI GTX 1070TI Gaming
RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000MHZ
MOBO: Asus ROG B450F Gaming
Case: Phantek P400s Tempered Glass Black RGB
PSU: Corsair RM550X

Make sure you uninstall that gamerfirst silly software bundled with you motherboard if you installed it.

Next try a old program called IPERF to test between your pc and your laptop. This is a very simple program that is unaffected by memory/cpu/disk etc. It only tests the network. Most times you get over 900mbps. If this works it is likely something other than the cables or network drivers.
You could also copy large files between your laptop and pc. You can see the rates on the resource monitor network tab. Copy in both directions write speed to disk/ssd is different than read speed.

After this you start blaming stuff like browsers.

No ROG gaming software installed, I've already tested multiple browsers and they all show the same results.

It's weird but I have the exact same motherboard as you and I am experiencing similar issues. When viewing Youtube on my Phone, PS4, and Smart TV; I can watch on 720p/1080p constantly without issues. When on my rig, I'm often getting dips and forced to watch in 360p sometimes for entire 20-minute videos (tried both WiFi and Wired).

I'm starting to believe this could be an issue with our Motherboard model. Unless this is a big coincidence.

Jul 12, 2019
It's weird but I have the exact same motherboard as you and I am experiencing similar issues. When viewing Youtube on my Phone, PS4, and Smart TV; I can watch on 720p/1080p constantly without issues. When on my rig, I'm often getting dips and forced to watch in 360p sometimes for entire 20-minute videos (tried both WiFi and Wired).

I'm starting to believe this could be an issue with our Motherboard model. Unless this is a big coincidence.
Can you tell me what version of windows you're using? Did you opt in for the new Xbox game pass pc (beta)?

EDIT: I've also found more people with the exact same problem, their fix was a BIOS update, but I think I already have the latest one..
EDIT EDIT: I don't have the latest version, will upgrade later today and let you know the results. Latest one 2019/07/05

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019

A bios update didn't do the trick. Next step is reinstalling windows and making sure it doesn't update to the newest version.