Not getting full internet speeds on one specific PC, other pc's are getting full speed

Aug 17, 2018
My isp is spectrum and with our plan we have 25 megabytes download. My computer is only getting a maximum of 4.5 mbps download while another computer in the house gets the full 25. The odd cap to my pc makes me think there is a program or something throttling my pc. I have checked and there are no background applications taking up bandwith either.

My specs are:
GeForce GTX 1080
Intel core i5-6600 CPU 3.30 GHZ
16GB ram

if anymore information is needed i can try to get it

Yes, there could be a program or even a remnant of a program slowing it down. It will often be some kind of security software that is inspecting data packages before they are delivered. Bitdefender, Symantec Security Suite, and Comodo are examples. Sometimes a program is installed and then not completely removed. Do you or have you had anything like that installed?

It could also be a driver issue. It's always good to be sure you have the newest and correct drivers installed.

Your speeds don't match common cable issues, but that does not mean it's not a bad cable (heck ... there I go assuming you are on Ethernet ... WiFi can do all kinds of funky things to speed). It could also be an issue with the router. Try another cable and/or a different port in the router ... or tell us your on WiFi.

Finally, it could be a configuration issue, but lets check the easy stuff first.

Let us know.

Aug 17, 2018

i am using wireless internet and i have checked my drivers.

Wifi ... so, 25 MBps (which is 200 Mbps). If this computer only has access to 2.4 GHz WiFi, then your max speed is 144 Mbps. That would be under perfect conditions. Toss a couple walls or a cordless phone between the computer and the router and a reduced speed would be normal. BTW, is it 4.5 MBps or 4.5 Mbps?

Aug 17, 2018

Actually, it is 4.5 Mbps

Aug 17, 2018

My computer is about 5 meters away from the router and for my internet it is 144 Mbps and full bars

Aug 17, 2018

I have not installed any software like that. I did see on another thread that AMD had something that did the same thing but because it was AMD the user didn't install it himself. Is there anything like that with nvida? if you happen to know. Thanks for helping me with this.

Other than security software, the biggest culprit is the Killer NIC software suite than comes with the Killer network adapters and other "network enhancer" softwares. I have never heard of Nvidia software slowing down the network.

Just to confirm. The other computer that gets 200 Mbps is also connected via WiFi, yes? Are you using a USB wifi adapter on your computers? Can they be switched? Since the computer and router are only 5 meters apart, have you ever tried connecting them via Ethernet (assuming you have a cable)?

I wish this issue was more clear cut.

Aug 17, 2018

I think it may be my actual wifi card. It plugs directly into the motherboard. I dont have the box so ill have to check it when I'm done here. I'll get back to you when i find out.