[SOLVED] Not getting full speeds over wifi

Jul 12, 2020
Ok so im a definite newb to setting up networks, but ive done a fair bit of reading to square myself away. However i might not be looking for the right thing causing me to not find the answers im looking for. Anyways here we go: Just got a new apartment and splurged on a 400mbps connection, went to walmart and picked up a linksys ac1200 router model number e5400. This thing cost like 49 dollars but did a little reading on what all the numbers meant and came up with this being a fit. I ran a test on the Ethernet cord im using to my router and pulling 480mbps down and good latency. I guess im basically asking do i need to buy a better router to make use of the speeds im paying for? Or Does someone have a good source for info i should look at for router information?

Secret-Squirrel

Reputable
Sep 12, 2020
......................Not getting full speeds over wifi............................I ran a test on the Ethernet cord im using to my router and pulling 480mbps down and good latency. ..........................

OK, so what speeds are you getting over WiFi?

Let me know too the name and model number of all devices that you intend to use over WiFi. I'll then tell you whether they're capable of achieving the Internet speed you signed up for.

kanewolf

Titan
Ok so im a definite newb to setting up networks, but ive done a fair bit of reading to square myself away. However i might not be looking for the right thing causing me to not find the answers im looking for. Anyways here we go: Just got a new apartment and splurged on a 400mbps connection, went to walmart and picked up a linksys ac1200 router model number e5400. This thing cost like 49 dollars but did a little reading on what all the numbers meant and came up with this being a fit. I ran a test on the Ethernet cord im using to my router and pulling 480mbps down and good latency. I guess im basically asking do i need to buy a better router to make use of the speeds im paying for? Or Does someone have a good source for info i should look at for router information?
Well, based on the Linksys technical specs -- https://www.linksys.com/us/p/P-E5400/ You bought the wrong router. That router only has FAST ethernet (100Mbit) wired ports. That limits you to 100Mbit total performance because your WAN wired connection is 100Mbit.
You do need a better router.

Jul 12, 2020