[SOLVED] Not getting full wifi speed

AlphaCloud_X

Reputable
Sep 3, 2019
So a couple days ago I upgraded my wifi to 1gbps and its been pretty good but there's a issue. On my computer in wifi status for my pcie wifi card it shows the speed is 866mbps but when doing a speed test it only gets 320mbps. I know that over wireless I wont be able to get the full 1gbps but I don't know why the download speed is so much lower than the speed shown in wifi-status, 886mbps compared to 320mbp. Also the pcie wifi card is all up to date. Any idea what could be causing this discrepancy?

Wifi Card: TP-LINK Archer TX3000E or in cmd it shows up as Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz
Router: Linksys Max-Stream Wireless AC4000
DoTDkIF.png
1xR0pQa.jpg

Solution
You have an AC wireless router, a link speed of 866 is typical for an 80Mhz AC connection. What is not shown is what the signal, broadcast from you PC to the router is. In the BEST case, your 866Mbit link speed will get a 400Mbit throughput. WHY??? Because WIFI is half duplex (it can only transmit OR receive at one time). So the THROUGHPUT is 1/2 the link speed in the BEST case. If your signal back to the router is just a little low, then your 300Mbit throughput is reasonable.
Everything is working as designed for WIFI.
So a couple days ago I upgraded my wifi to 1gbps and its been pretty good but there's a issue. On my computer in wifi status for my pcie wifi card it shows the speed is 866mbps but when doing a speed test it only gets 320mbps. I know that over wireless I wont be able to get the full 1gbps but I don't know why the download speed is so much lower than the speed shown in wifi-status, 886mbps compared to 320mbp. Also the pcie wifi card is all up to date. Any idea what could be causing this discrepancy?

Wifi Card: TP-LINK Archer TX3000E or in cmd it shows up as Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz
Router: Linksys Max-Stream Wireless AC4000
It appears your WiFi devices is working properly.
Try powering off your network devices (routers, modem, etc.) for 5 minutes and power them back on and test again.
IS there any way you could test your Internet speed with a wired Ethernet connection to make sure you are getting the speed you paid for?
By the way, you upgraded your Internet service to 1 Gbps...you didn't upgraded wifi to 1gbps.

AlphaCloud_X

Reputable
Sep 3, 2019
It appears your WiFi devices is working properly.
Try powering off your network devices (routers, modem, etc.) for 5 minutes and power them back on and test again.
IS there any way you could test your Internet speed with a wired Ethernet connection to make sure you are getting the speed you paid for?
By the way, you upgraded your Internet service to 1 Gbps...you didn't upgraded wifi to 1gbps.
So when using an ethernet cable and connecting directly to my modem I get around 850mbps and yup I upgraded my internet service plan to 1gbps, I'm thinking it might be something with the router but I'm not too sure what could be causing it

kanewolf

Titan
You have an AC wireless router, a link speed of 866 is typical for an 80Mhz AC connection. What is not shown is what the signal, broadcast from you PC to the router is. In the BEST case, your 866Mbit link speed will get a 400Mbit throughput. WHY??? Because WIFI is half duplex (it can only transmit OR receive at one time). So the THROUGHPUT is 1/2 the link speed in the BEST case. If your signal back to the router is just a little low, then your 300Mbit throughput is reasonable.

Solution

AlphaCloud_X

Reputable
Sep 3, 2019
thank you, oh ok I see, so the bottlekneck would the router because it is on an AC connection but my wifi card is on an AX connection meaning that my wifi card isn't being fully utilized

TRENDING THREADS