Question Not getting good FPS from 3090..

Feb 6, 2021
Hello, I'm having issues figuring out why am I not getting high fps. According to task manager aka performance tab, both my CPU and GPU are at 20%-30% while my memory ranges from 16%-25%..
The main game I play is Escape from Tarkov and I already configure the in game settings to low setting and high setting. There was really no change in fps except an incensement of 7-10 frames on low settings. I am getting 40-70 frames when I play Tarkov at an average of 55fps. My temps are fairly low at 40C CPU and my GPU is at 45C. I have my CPU OC to get 4ghz and even tried running ryzen master's game mode which reduces the cores from 16 to 8 cores. I all cores and 8 core still no difference. I feel like I am over looking something so minor that it made hugely impact my fps. I was also running a 2080 ti on this same pc and the frame were about the same as my 3090... My ram is running at 3200 Mhz. Please help, I've been trying to figure this out for a the longest time so I turn to you guys for help. Thanks!!

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950x
GPU: Nvidia 3090 FE
Ram: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 Desktop Memory
Motherboard: GIGABYTE X399 Designare EX
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 80+ GOLD
Thermaltake tower 900
Windows 10

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard. Following that, make sure you're on the latest version of Windows 10. At the time of writing, we're on version 20H2. You can then source the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site, then use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, reboot, then install said drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Feb 6, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard. Following that, make sure you're on the latest version of Windows 10. At the time of writing, we're on version 20H2. You can then source the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site, then use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, reboot, then install said drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

I have everything up to date, bios, drivers, etc.. I did do a DDU twice and reset my bios settings twice too. Not sure what's happening. When running techpowerup-gpu my prefcap code is thrm and the color is pink/purple... However, my temps are very low

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
When running techpowerup-gpu my prefcap code is thrm and the color is pink/purple... However, my temps are very low
What you're seeing as low, is the gpu core.
What's THeRMal throttling is the Vram - or the VRM, but it's most likely the Vram.

Thermaltake tower 900
This is really a chassis for custom liquid setups; the design doesn't allow for much air to pass through the main chamber.
Make sure that cpu isn't thermal throttling too.

I guess you'll have to get creative with cooling that card's Vram.

Feb 6, 2021
What you're seeing as low, is the gpu core.
What's THeRMal throttling is the Vram - or the VRM, but it's most likely the Vram.

This is really a chassis for custom liquid setups; the design doesn't allow for much air to pass through the main chamber.
Make sure that cpu isn't thermal throttling too.

I guess you'll have to get creative with cooling that card's Vram.

I have custom cooling setup but not for the 3090. I just got it so I have to wait to buy the waterblock. What I did however is made it an open air flow rig. I removed all temper glass and the top panels so all the heat can flow out of the pc. I like in the midwest so its really cold outside. that being said, I leave a window open to help keep the room cold.

You said the vram is the issue? Ill try an alternative to keep it cooler but all my temps are under 50c and actually running an average of 45c. I dont oc the gpu. However, I did to see if there was an increase in fps and there really wasnt. My gpu is capped...

Apr 22, 2021
I have custom cooling setup but not for the 3090. I just got it so I have to wait to buy the waterblock. What I did however is made it an open air flow rig. I removed all temper glass and the top panels so all the heat can flow out of the pc. I like in the midwest so its really cold outside. that being said, I leave a window open to help keep the room cold.

You said the vram is the issue? Ill try an alternative to keep it cooler but all my temps are under 50c and actually running an average of 45c. I dont oc the gpu. However, I did to see if there was an increase in fps and there really wasnt. My gpu is capped...

Hey I’m fairly running the same system as you please let me know what custom loop you went with and how much it ran you. Thermaltake 900 gigabyte x399 auros extreme gaming nvidia rtx 3090 fe 192gb corsair rgb ddr4 ram 850 gold psu threadripper 1950x

With 16 cores, you are never going to see truly high CPU usage in gaming, no matter the chosen resolution...(framerates of a 2950X will ironically typically rival only those of the R5-2600, as the extra cores/memory latency does not really help; gaming-wise, a 3800X would be faster, of course...)

With a 3090, you are also unlikely to see high GPU usage even at 4k max details, and, certainly usage will be quite low at 1080P.

So unless you are actual noting low performance for that CPU and/or GPU combo, I'd not try to 'fix' merely a CPU/GPU usage issue where you've decided either or both should be higher.

Last edited: