Not getting internet speeds i am paying for

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 9, 2018
I am paying for 500 mbps download speed, and according to speedtest.net, I am getting roughly 50-90 mbps. We have already contacted Wow, our ISP, and they say that "I have a slow computer", and they are getting full speeds. I am connected using a cat5e Ethernet cable, and I highly doubt that the reason for the slow speeds is my computer. Is there a reason that my computer would not be able to accept speeds higher than 90mbps? In my network settings, it says that my Ethernet speeds can be up to 1.0gbps

Solution

If buying and testing another network adapter, that would likely mean 99.999% odd that the issue is not with the PC. And having had your friend help you test and yield what you have said:

"On the speedtest from megapath, I just got DOWNLOAD: 138.67Mbps, UPLOAD: 53.71Mbps.
Also, I just did a test on my friends iphone X, and he got 470mbps download speed.
"

Then this means the problem is between you PC and your ISP's equipment. The test you need to do now is move your PC and connect directly on the ISP equipment and then retest. Make you are using a good ethernet cable when you do this. And I would bet that your will be getting the...

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Are you sure you're even getting the speed claimed by the ISP? Frontier for one claims between 6 and 12Mbps for ADSL but you're lucky if you get an actual 2.75Mbps. ISPs are good at deceptive trade practices by saying "up to X Mbps" but in reality only providing a fraction of that speed.