Question Not getting maximum performance from my PC?

Mar 9, 2020
Hello, recently I finished building my first ever gaming PC and everything seems to be working really well, I made sure of every single part's performance before I picked anything up, I've watched videos of how it performs in games and everything but comparing that to the performance I'm getting it's quite different, here are my specs:
Motherboard: GIGABYTE B365M DS3H
CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER SC ULTRA
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
PSU: CORSAIR CX Series CX450

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooRsI_4Hn7w
here's a video showing the performance I'm supposed to be getting in some of the games I play like apex or rainbow but I can't even stay at a consistent +144 fps on the same settings

I suspected it might be my PSU not providing enough power for the GPU but upon searching that up it seems that's not the case because if it didn't get enough power it would just shut down my PC, I also have a 144hz 1080p monitor and I made sure that it's set to 144hz both in NVIDIA control panel and windows display settings so I'm at a loss as to why this is happening.

You might try running the benchmark at UserBenchmark and linking to the results page here to help indicate whether everything appears to be running as it should...

here's a video showing the performance I'm supposed to be getting in some of the games I play like apex or rainbow but I can't even stay at a consistent +144 fps on the same settings
They don't seem to be getting a "consistant" 144 fps either. I'm seeing occasional dips into the 130s in their Rainbow Six test, and even some dips to under 120fps in their Apex Legends run.

Does your monitor support adaptive sync (FreeSync or G-Sync Compatible) and if so, do you have it enabled? That can help smooth FPS drops while avoiding screen tearing.

Mar 9, 2020
You might try running the benchmark at UserBenchmark and linking to the results page here to help indicate whether everything appears to be running as it should...

They don't seem to be getting a "consistant" 144 fps either. I'm seeing occasional dips into the 130s in their Rainbow Six test, and even some dips to under 120fps in their Apex Legends run.

Does your monitor support adaptive sync (FreeSync or G-Sync Compatible) and if so, do you have it enabled? That can help smooth FPS drops while avoiding screen tearing.
so I ran the userbenchmark and everything was fine except for the GPU score, I got 34% which is below the average for my GPU by 24% so I guess it's a GPU issue?

And yes I'm aware that the person in the video doesn't get consistent frames but what I meant was that the FPS I'm getting on average is way below theirs, for example on apex they get well beyond 100 FPS but I get around 60 to 80 FPS, and my monitor supports freesync but I don't use that because I don't see any screen tearing or any major FPS drops

Yeah, I found your benchmark results in the list of UserBenchmark runs using that hardware, and it does look like your graphics card is underperforming. Have you checked the temperatures of the graphics card while it is under load, in case it might be overheating?

I would think that model of PSU should be fine, as a 1650 SUPER shouldn't draw more than 100 watts under full load, but have you made sure the 6+2 pin PCIe power cable is properly connected to the card? That card should require the 6-pin part of the connector to be installed.

Mar 9, 2020
Yeah, I found your benchmark results in the list of UserBenchmark runs using that hardware, and it does look like your graphics card is underperforming. Have you checked the temperatures of the graphics card while it is under load, in case it might be overheating?

I would think that model of PSU should be fine, as a 1650 SUPER shouldn't draw more than 100 watts under full load, but have you made sure the 6+2 pin PCIe power cable is properly connected to the card? That card should require the 6-pin part of the connector to be installed.
No, the GPU doesn't overheat while it's running at full load, usually stays around 49-52C under full load, and the 6 pin PCIe connector is plugged into it and I made sure of it

Latest posts