Not getting more than 78Mbps with 300Mbps bandwidth using TP-LINK TL-PA8010P PLC's

sergestusx

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Hi, all!

My ISP upgraded my bandwidth from 100Mbps to 300Mbps recently and I attempted to upgrade my old PLC's (TP-LINK PA4010P) with fast ethernet ports. And so, I bought new ones (TP-LINK PA8010P) with gigalan ports, as well as my ethernet cables (CAT6). Worth to mention that my ethernet onboard chip is an Atheros AR8161.

Observations:

• Speedtest download speed result with old PLC's is about 78Mbps.
    Speedtest download speed result with new PLC's is pretty much the same.
    I'm using the same setup and the same wall plugs.
    Speed & Duplex value in Windows is set to "Auto Negotiation" (no 1.0Gbps value listed). Although Atheros utility confirms 1.0Gbps Full Duplex link established.

My question is if there is anythig I might be missing, or could it just be an electric wiring limitation. :??:

Any advice?

Thank you in advance!

Solution
Speed test websire will only ever be as fast as the slowest component in the chain.

While your ISP might be selling you a 300MBps connection at their server end.
It is in no way guaranteed that that is the speed your line/cable can sustain.
For all you know they may be throttling you at peak times etc.

So it doesn't matter how quick your internal network is. If your external connection to the internet is slower, that is the speed that speedtest will see.

Log into your router/mode. Usually 192.168.0.1. Windows 7 and 8 would have them listed as network devices usually.

In the router settings, They usually show the status of your line and it's connection speed. I think that is what is your limiting factor. It's still crazy quick btw.

kjhmario

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014
I have this same problem with my netgear 500 powerline kit, running no more than 25ft max from router to room I get 17mbps of 60, my only solution was that the electrical wiring just wasn't up to snuff :spamafote: I just recently went to a 100ft cat6 and ran the thing through the apartment on the wall and I get a strong complete speed.

sergestusx

Honorable
May 21, 2012

I don't see where it says that. The closest thing might be "Status: 1000 Full" in the WAN Network Status section. It's an Amper EG-663.

sergestusx

Honorable
May 21, 2012

Well, it's the best solution to get top bandwidth, But should there be a way to know what bandwidth do I get from my PC to the router?

Thanks!

kjhmario

Reputable
Aug 2, 2014

Do you have a laptop or something that you can hardwire to the router to test the speed? With something like a patch cable sitting next to the router or that you can borrow next to the device? If you can get full 300 from the router to your pc with a physical cable you know it's the powerline kit that isn't giving you a connection. Or if you're brave enough you could move your entire pc setup next to the router just to see :miam:

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015

do a speed test without any PLC. just your computer plugged straight into the modem.

beegmouse

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Speed test websire will only ever be as fast as the slowest component in the chain.

While your ISP might be selling you a 300MBps connection at their server end.
It is in no way guaranteed that that is the speed your line/cable can sustain.
For all you know they may be throttling you at peak times etc.

So it doesn't matter how quick your internal network is. If your external connection to the internet is slower, that is the speed that speedtest will see.

Log into your router/mode. Usually 192.168.0.1. Windows 7 and 8 would have them listed as network devices usually.

In the router settings, They usually show the status of your line and it's connection speed. I think that is what is your limiting factor. It's still crazy quick btw.

Solution