[SOLVED] Not getting promised speeds

alexn310

Prominent
Mar 12, 2019
I'm paying for a 100mbit/s connection and i only get around 25mbit/s of that, I know that it could be because im using a wireless connection but i doubt that it would reduce speeds that drastically, I'm using a tp link wirless usb adapter since my motherboard (ASUS A68HM-PLUS) doesnt have built in wifi. It's a DSL connection.

Solution
I'm also using a signal extender plugged into a power outlet in my room so i think we can rule out the pc wifi adapter
That would have been handy to know. A WIFI extender cuts bandwidth in half. SO your router has a MAX 70Mb/s throughput capability. Then you cut that in half with an extender and you are down to 30Mb/s rates. -- Not too far off what you are seeing. It is working "as designed". If you want better network performance, then you have to get different hardware.

kanewolf

Titan
I'm paying for a 100mbit/s connection and i only get around 25mbit/s of that, I know that it could be because im using a wireless connection but i doubt that it would reduce speeds that drastically, I'm using a tp link wirless usb adapter since my motherboard (ASUS A68HM-PLUS) doesnt have built in wifi. It's a DSL connection.
Which TP link USB adapter?
What router do you have ?

alexn310

Prominent
Mar 12, 2019
What performance do you get when connected to the router via Cat5e cable?
Never Really tried it since the router is upstairs, but previously i had a 16mbit/s plan and around 12mbit/s went through to my pc of that, so i dont know why its such a drastic difference with this new plan

kanewolf

Titan
It's a FritzBox 7430 and a TP Link AC600
Your router is limiting you. The router has only 100Mbit wired ports. You can't get more than 90Mbit with that router.
It is also only a 2.4Ghz WIFI router. With as much interference in the 2.4Ghz WIFI that there is, it is hard to get decent performance.
If this is the adapter -- https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/usb-adapter/archer-t2u/v3/ That is the other part of the problem. It has no space for an antenna. Those "nano" adapters get terrible performance.

USAFRet

Titan
Never Really tried it since the router is upstairs, but previously i had a 16mbit/s plan and around 12mbit/s went through to my pc of that, so i dont know why its such a drastic difference with this new plan
And maybe the walls and location of your house and system can only give that "25mbps"

WiFi is too variable to tell.
You need to try it wired, and verify you're actually getting 100mbps from the ISP.
Then, investigate WiFi.

alexn310

Prominent
Mar 12, 2019
Your router is limiting you. The router has only 100Mbit wired ports. You can't get more than 90Mbit with that router.
It is also only a 2.4Ghz WIFI router. With as much interference in the 2.4Ghz WIFI that there is, it is hard to get decent performance.
If this is the adapter -- https://www.tp-link.com/us/home-networking/usb-adapter/archer-t2u/v3/ That is the other part of the problem. It has no space for an antenna. Those "nano" adapters get terrible performance.
I'm also using a signal extender plugged into a power outlet in my room so i think we can rule out the pc wifi adapter

kanewolf

Titan
That would have been handy to know. A WIFI extender cuts bandwidth in half. SO your router has a MAX 70Mb/s throughput capability. Then you cut that in half with an extender and you are down to 30Mb/s rates. -- Not too far off what you are seeing. It is working "as designed". If you want better network performance, then you have to get different hardware.

Solution