Not getting the Fps i should be.

Lee McG123

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015
I recently watched a video explaining how a high fps can give a huge advantage in cs:go even on a lower refresh rate monitor. naturally I wanted to try it for myself and set about trying to boost my fps as high as i could. My rig is as follows:
AMD FX-6350 (hex core @3.9GHz
GeForce GTX 980
and 8GB of 2133MHz ram

with all drivers up to date, despite turning all the settings to low and changing to a 4:3 resolution, i could only get a maximum of 260 fps which worryingly drops right down to 200 whenever i shoot. I feel like i should be getting a much higher fps considering I get solid 60 running most other games on all ultra but i can't be sure this isn't a more widespread problem.

Solution
First of all, your processor is bottlenecking that graphics card.
However, having a higher FPS than your refresh rate does nothing for you. It can prevent FPS from dropping below the refresh rate however. That being said a 60Hz monitor will display 60FPs regardless if you are running 60FPs or 600 in game.
First of all, your processor is bottlenecking that graphics card.
However, having a higher FPS than your refresh rate does nothing for you. It can prevent FPS from dropping below the refresh rate however. That being said a 60Hz monitor will display 60FPs regardless if you are running 60FPs or 600 in game.

Solution

RANDOM_151

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015
Dont know much about how much fps you would get. For what i noticed about having higher fps than you refresh rate is that it reduces input lag on both mouse and keyboard. Dont know why but this is the reason i play on a low resolution. Playing a rhythm game at 1000 fps and other FPS games. In conclusion, higher fps is always better due to less input lag. I might be wrong but expeariance tells me this

That_Person

Reputable
Jun 28, 2015

He's right, if you want better performance you are going to have to get better CPU. How much FPS do you want, 200 is plenty plenty.