Question Not getting the fps I should get...

TheLudde

Prominent
Jun 3, 2017
Hey, I have some major issues with my rig in ARK Survival Evolved. So if I put all the settings to lowerst the game runs in 50-60fps... and if i put on high the game is in the same fps range! on epic the game is on 38-45 fps. It feels like it's a fps locker or something. And the fps wont go higher than 64 fps even if I look up in the sky. I don't know what to do!

PC Specs:
GPU: GTX 1070 8GB OC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (non OC)
RAM: 16GB DDR4 3000mhz
Storage: 240GB SSD and 1TB HDD

The game is currently downloaded on the SSD with windows.

I see other people get around 70+ fps on high so it's really sad that I have 40-50fps on high...

Thanks!

If you have V-Sync on it is going to sync the frame rate to the refresh rate of the display if it can. You'll be locked right around 60 fps. You might want to see if that feature is enabled in the game and in the graphics card settings. There is simply no way that the Ryzen 5 1600 is holding back the GPU. As for not cooperating, even inefficiencies in the drivers have to give way to rendering.... with nothing to render the frame rate will rise. If we aren't seeing that then it is a setting somewhere.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, well things looks as they should for the most part. It does mention above average background CPU usage, might want to look in task manager to see if you have any rogue processes sucking up CPU resources. Your RAM is also running at 2800 MHz rather than 3000 like it's rated for (although that motherboard doesn't support 3000, so it'd be 2933 MHz instead), not sure how much of a difference that would make. Did you enable the XMP/DOCP profile in the BIOS, or did you manually set it to 2800 MHz?

Your drive performance is a bit all over the place, but I don't see that impacting FPS. I do see that you're using ~90% of the capacity of your SSD, I'll just mention that SSD performance tends to suffer when they're almost full, you may want to try leaving around 20% empty.

When you say you've seen other people getting better FPS with the same specs, is that on youtube? Are you sure they have all the same specs as you? Same speed RAM, also running without any overclock, etc?

TheLudde

Prominent
Jun 3, 2017
Hmm, well things looks as they should for the most part. It does mention above average background CPU usage, might want to look in task manager to see if you have any rogue processes sucking up CPU resources. Your RAM is also running at 2800 MHz rather than 3000 like it's rated for (although that motherboard doesn't support 3000, so it'd be 2933 MHz instead), not sure how much of a difference that would make. Did you enable the XMP/DOCP profile in the BIOS, or did you manually set it to 2800 MHz?

Your drive performance is a bit all over the place, but I don't see that impacting FPS. I do see that you're using ~90% of the capacity of your SSD, I'll just mention that SSD performance tends to suffer when they're almost full, you may want to try leaving around 20% empty.

When you say you've seen other people getting better FPS with the same specs, is that on youtube? Are you sure they have all the same specs as you? Same speed RAM, also running without any overclock, etc?

Yes I am using XMP in BIOS and yes I saw that on youtube with people having the same specs, some had maybe a bit stronger CPU like i7 6700k but not a huge diffrence. But otherwise I don't know... I have been trying things and I don't seem to find a solution. Well you can't find a solution if you don't know what is causing it. So I need to figure out what the problem is.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
people having the same specs, some had maybe a bit stronger CPU like i7 6700k but not a huge diffrence.
If people are running an overclocked 6700K I'm not surprised they'd get better FPS than you.

What is your CPU usage while gaming? Use something like hwinfo64 or MSI afterburner to measure, look at the highest usage across each individual core (rather than overall utilization).

Did you check to make sure V sync is not enabled, as suggested above? Both in game and in nvidia settings.

TheLudde

Prominent
Jun 3, 2017

And I saw that too now, that my SSD is performing bad. WHY?

TheLudde

Prominent
Jun 3, 2017
Like I said, try emptying a bit more space on it. Also, if your background CPU usage also involves drive I/O that could affect the results too.

The GPU usage goes a bit up and down put mostley 99% and when it drops it goes down to 79%. The cpu cores are very low the cpu1 going at between 17% and 44% and it's very low overal on every core....