Not getting the speeds for internet I am paying for

Jun 16, 2018
My Modem is the Arris Surfboard SB6190 and my Router is the Asus RT-N66R. I am paying for 400mbs internet with spectrum which I was told I can get anywhere from 300-400 supported in my area. When I plug directly from computer to modem I get about 300 down and 25 up which is great and what I expected to get. However when I plug my Modem into my router then use an Ethernet cable from router to modem I get the same 25mb Upload but only 100 download. The Ethernet cable from Modem to Router is Cat7 and is the same one I used to plug into my computer. Is there any settings I should change in my router or is this just normal. I am not using WiFi just to make that clear its all through Ethernet cable.

Solution

I think that is the most likely culprit then. Both the router and the PC can detect the best speed the cable can run at, and if it is Cat5 the best you could expect is 10/100 speeds out of it, which is what you are getting.
Jun 16, 2018

I think you may be right, the ethernet cord for my computer is pretty old and is probably a Cat5 cable I amy need to buy a new one.

I think that is the most likely culprit then. Both the router and the PC can detect the best speed the cable can run at, and if it is Cat5 the best you could expect is 10/100 speeds out of it, which is what you are getting.

Solution
Jun 16, 2018

The router is rated for up to 480mbs which is about 80 mbs over my max and the modem is rated for like 1.4gbs so I think it may just be my old cable. I have had it for like 6 years and its honestly breaking so I ordered a new Cat6 cable.

480 is going to be the wifi speed. make sure to check if it says Gigabit ethernet.

TRENDING THREADS