Not getting Wireless-AC speed

jancoz90

Reputable
Dec 7, 2014
I'm on a 400 Mbps connection, but via my wireless-AC network I only manage to reach 100 Mbps speeds. Connecting to my 5 Ghz network via devices that do not support AC I reach the same speeds I do with devices that do support AC. I reach the full 400 Mbps on the LAN cable.

I started troubleshooting:
I changed the distance between my router and my PC up to the point of having the router within 1 meter from my PC.
I used different AC receivers.
I booted in Windows safemode.
I updated my routers software.

Router: TP-Link Archer C7 V1
Receiver 1: WLA-7100 USB 3.0 Dualband WiFi-adapter
Receiver 2: Asus USB-AC56 Dual-Band Adapter

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Solution
If your device doesn't support AC then you won't get AC speeds. To be honest, unless your ISP is providing you with a 400mbps speed, you won't make the most of the advertised speeds. If you don't do a lot of file sharing between computers on the LAN then you won't make the most of the speeds either.

You will have to enter the router firmware by typing the IP of it into your internet browser. Try enabling certain features such as AC only, and 5ghz only etc. Those devices that do not support AC are probably on the 2.4 GHz band so you can try to enable two different streams. One for the AC only devices and one for the devices that do not have AC capabilities.

schwatzz

Distinguished
If your device doesn't support AC then you won't get AC speeds. To be honest, unless your ISP is providing you with a 400mbps speed, you won't make the most of the advertised speeds. If you don't do a lot of file sharing between computers on the LAN then you won't make the most of the speeds either.

You will have to enter the router firmware by typing the IP of it into your internet browser. Try enabling certain features such as AC only, and 5ghz only etc. Those devices that do not support AC are probably on the 2.4 GHz band so you can try to enable two different streams. One for the AC only devices and one for the devices that do not have AC capabilities.

Solution

Latest posts