Not giving up on new motherboard yet. Help?

Phyra

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
My specs:
AMD FX 4300 Quad-Core Processor 3.80GHz
8.00GB DDR3 RAM (2 sticks of 4gigs)
64bit Windows 7 Ultimate OS
MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 GPU
ASUS 970 Aura Pro Gaming MOBO
Evga Supernova 750 G2 PSU

So I don't know what the problem is. It just keeps restarting, sometimes it will go into the OS for a while, but then suddenly restarts, then it will constantly restart at the BIOS. I updated the BIOS to the latest version on the website, and it was fine for a while till I started trying to play a game. Then the restarting started happening. Sometimes the bootdevice LED lights up when it starts up on the board, but no lights when it's loading through the BIOS, and into the OS.

I'm wondering if maybe my CPU isn't compatible. Anyone know if it is? Also, it says sometimes on restarts that it had a "Failed attempt to overclock". I don't see why it would do that since I never set it to overclock. The BIOS is in default settings. Then there's the problem of my OS saying only 3.something of my 8gig RAM is usable. Could that be the problem? How would I enable it to use 8gigs? Maybe I need to buy more RAM?

Would appreciate the input guys. Thanks.

Update: Ok I figured out how to go into Performance Monitor, and found out that half my ram is being used by hardware the other half by processes etc. That's enlightening to know, so buying more ram isn't a bad idea.

I noticed in the ram monitoring that a process called svchost.exe(netsvcs) pops up, and slowly devours all my usable ram. Apparently this is a memory leak, so I'm working on figuring that out now.

Not only that, but the overclocking is still happening, so I probably won't try anymore with it till I get my new 16gigs of ram in. Hopefully that will help with boot up, and I'll work more on figuring out the svchost.exe(netsvcs) problem

Phyra

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016

+82.4F on the main page. What other temps would I need to look at? I barely had time to look at it before it shut off again. Lol. Oh! Forgot to mention my PSU in the specs. Let me go back and do that.
Edit: Done.

Phyra

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016

The temp went up to 98.6F and I looked at what the OS is using and it says 3.90gigs of 4 ram. So far the computer hasn't shut down despite working a slight heavy load (ie. transfering a bunch of files, and using the browser. Which isn't technically heavy, but it was enough to make the computer reset). So what now? Is it a prob with the OS?
Edit: Oh dang there it goes. Tried to load up the World of Warcraft, and browser at the same time, and it reset. It lasted longer than usual though.

Phyra

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
Oh it registers. Both sticks show up in the BIOS at the right amount. I did that switchout out thing in the ram slots too already, and A2, and B2 work the best just like the manual says to do. I wonder if my VGA is being given some of the RAM despite being dedicated. I don't know how to check that though...

Edit: Ok I figured out how to go into Performance Monitor, and found out that half my ram is being used by hardware the other half by processes etc. That's enlightening to know, so buying more ram isn't a bad idea.

I noticed in the ram monitoring that a process called svchost.exe(netsvcs) pops up, and slowly devours all my usable ram. Apparently this is a memory leak, so I'm working on figuring that out now.

Edit 2: Not only that, but the overclocking is still happening, so I probably won't try anymore with it till I get my new 16gigs of ram in. Hopefully that will help with boot up, and I'll work more on figuring out the svchost.exe(netsvcs) problem

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The restarting could be indicative of a failing component, but we'll get to that.

First things first..... you are using 64bit OS, and not 32bit, correct? 32bit is limited to 4GB RAM, regardless of how much you install.
It's unlikely you have anything reserving >4GB RAM.

As for the 'failed OC' message, I would go into your BIOS and 'load default settings', just to be sure.
I'd also disable any onboard VGA (it's say something like display device: Onboard or PCIe... or likely Auto - I'd select PCIe only/first).

For the memory leak issue, refer here for common fixes: http://www.wintips.org/how-to-fix-svchost-exe-netsvcs-memory-leak-or-high-cpu-usage-problems/

I wouldn't spend money on additional RAM at this point if I were you - you certainly can if you wish. It'll only mask the problem, not fix it. Something is still eating into your memory.

I assume you run an acceptable anti-virus? And perform frequent scans? I'd double check on that if I were you - especially if this has just appeared.

How old is your OS install? If it's a couple of years since you last installed your OS, it's likely not a bad idea to backup your data & reinstall clean.

You also mentioned the boot LED showing up from time to time. That can be indicative of problems with the device itself, or simply a boot order error in your BIOS. Ensure which ever HDD or SSD it is your OS is contained on, is set to boot priority #1 in your BIOS. It's probably worth running a health check on the drive too! There's numerous programs, but for HDDs, both SeaGate and Western Digital have their own utilities to monitor their drives. Head over to your HDDs respective site & download the monitoring utility. Ensure it's in good health, otherwise, it's probably worth replacing (and a clean OS install) before you dig much further into the issue(s),

Phyra

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
I've reformatted my harddrive a few times, twice in the last few days to reinstall the OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (like was listed in the "specs" in my original post). I found that page you linked to before and tried the steps. Seeing that the drive was formatted it can't be a virus, it's a brand new installed OS, so no updates, and I tried clearing those logs. Still had the memory leak. :/

I've also already reset the BIOS. Though, I couldn't find anything in the BIOS about an onboard video card. I tried starting up the motherboard without any harddrives, and got a CSM boot error that says "The current BIOS setting do not fully support the boot device. Click OK to enter the BIOS setup. Go to Advanced/Boot/CSM Parameters, and adjust the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) settings to enable the boot device." Which I went into to check, and it was already enabled. :I

TRENDING THREADS