Not happy with ati 5770

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

giger

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Hello,

I dunno, I'm wondering if something is up with the actual GPU or if I've got other issues elsewhere.

So I visually 'benched' it with Crysis and I'm seeing tearing and it's lagging a bit. I've got everything up to max and am expecting more.

Also, running things like BF2 at max on a 64 player server....hrmm..Just seems sluggish.

there's other games too. L4D2 seems good at max, but that's about it.

All other applications are zooming along just fine so that's why I'm thinking GPU.

So i'm wondering if it's just the card, or not enough card, or maybe I need to splurge for the extra card and go crossfire. Will I see THAT much improvement or am I ...?....I dunno.

Your thoughts?

Here's my specs. (just built)

Asus P7P55D Deluxe
i7 860 (oc'ed to 3.5)
8gbs Corsair XMS3 (cas7)
corsair tx750w ps (oops forgot)
Barracuda 500gb Sata drive (16mb cache - 7200rpm
ATI HD 5770
Dell 24inch lcd

Solution
For 1920x1080 the HD5770 is a good card but not great. It cannot handle Crysis maxed at that resolution and BC2 is also one of the most intensive games around and needs to have at least slightly lowered settings for smooth game play. If you want to be able to max out settings on the more intensive games you will need to add another in crossfire. And yes another in crossfire will give you a large increase in performance. Crossfire scales very well on the HD5000 series and 2 HD5770s should give you performance similar to an HD5870. Here is a good article on the subject;
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd5770-hd5750-crossfirex.html

4745454b

Titan
A few extra MHz won't mean much. The question is does spending $45 more dollars for a better/quieter cooler make sense to you? If you want a quiet machine the better cooler is worth it. If you don't care, or can live with a slightly noisier machine, then get the $295 one.

Of those two cards I would go for the cheaper one myself but like 474545b said the fan on the Toxic is slightly better and quieter. The fan on the other is already quite effective and doesn't make much noise though so personally I don't think the Toxic is worth the extra cash. The speed difference is entirely meaningless. You can and should easily OC either of those cards well past the factory OC on the Toxic.
That said I wouldn't get either. This is the card I would get;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121375
It is generally considered the best HD5850 around and especially so if you are going to overclock. The cooler receives rave reviews both for noise and effectiveness and unlike those Sapphire cards it allows you to up the voltage of the GPU for higher overclocking potential. With the voltage raised slightly usually people can get the core over 1ghz. Considering the stock clocks are 725mhz that's a huge 40% increase. Such an overclock is very rare and should easily push the performance of the card past a stock HD5870 and into the general area of a GTX 480. Here is a review for further info;
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1273/1/
As you probably noticed it is out of stock on Newegg right now but it is available elsewhere for the same price;
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10012519

giger

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
The Asus card was to have been my first choice as well (based on what I had already read and now what you are all confirming) but I'm not able to find it at any online retailer that I know.

neweggs oos, zipzoomfly, j&r, etc.

suggestions? I'm not familiar with many other as it's been too long since I've shopped gear.

giger

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Ok, so I can't find a reference or asus 5850 (with a reasonable price).

So in my looking, I saw this HIS H587FN1GD Radeon HD 5870:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161329&cm_re=hd_5870-_-14-161-329-_-Product

With the discount, it'd only be 350.99 ($31 bucks more than the 5850).

So I remember HIS from back in the day, and it was a pretty good brand, but I've not heard much from them in years. The reviews on newegg are very mixed, with some failures. So now I'm really scratching my head on this one.

A really good ASUS 5850 with the reliabilitythat I trust, or a soso 5870 that I don't know for a bit more money.

Anyone out there have any experience or first hand knowledge of this HIS HD 5870?

giger

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Asus rep told a guy on another site that the Asus model is just backordered and should be back in stock within a few weeks

I have a system sitting here without a video card in it. I'll take a hostage before I can wait 2 weeks for a video card ;)

giger

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
Does your local fry's have the Diamond one? That's a reference card and will have voltage control

Out of stock until........

Guy said (that he knew of) they were waiting on an order for 3 weeks now.

So I take it by the silence in response to the HIS 5870, that its junk?

giger

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
So I ended up going with the Asus HD 5850 (EAH5850 DIRECTCU/2DI).

Picked it up at $264.99 (w/ rebate) so it was a huge deciding factor.

I waited as long as I could but had to get something in this thing. Who knows, I might even pick up another just for the hell of it. That's a good deal!.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for all the information and help. It helped me make some decisions, and I appreciate it.

Take Care All!

giger

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
My girlfriend has an entertainment book, she found a $30 off coupon for tiger direct in there. Then she doubled up with some other online shopping coupon for 13% cash back.

Have had bad experiences with tigerdirect, but I had to give it a shot. We'll see.

So for everytime she has made me cringe, at the grocery store, for pulling out a stack of coupons for maxi pads, or a snickers bar, she just made up for it. I'll never cringe again.

Well, maybe not.....

yah, I will.

TRENDING THREADS