[SOLVED] Not happy with RX 580 Performance, would RX 590 be worth it?

SkruDe

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
I recently had a GPU die and I bought a new RX 580. Let me first say, it's better than my old GPU which was a 7970.

But when I started benchmarking and testing games, it was clear the RX 580 was the bottleneck. For example ESO on Ultra under 1440p I was at 40% CPU usage but 90-100% GPU usage. The benchmarking came back has GPU being weakest part of system. (I have a 3930k OC'd to 4.5ghz, a Samsung SSD, and 32GB Trident RAM. Both SSD and RAM benched very well).

My MoBo only has PCI-e 3.0 slots, I do not have 4.0, so I figured it's pointless to upgrade to a 4.0 GPU.

So, now I'm thinking if I should return the RX 580 and buy the RX 590, overclock it a littler, and be happy with it till a build a new rig in a couple years.

Thoughts on performance upgrade from RX 580 to RX 590?

Solution
Hey thanks for the reply! I appreciate it!

My PSU is a Corsair AX 1200i
My budget is $500, USA

That's a decent budget, and given that you are USA based, you should have decent gpu availability soon

The problem:
to me, noone can in good faith recommend a gpu at pricepoint X at this moment

As nvidia and amd are battling it out atm

if things settle, and they will, a clearer price/performance/value hierarchy will emerge

sure you could buy a gpu now, but you probably will end up kicking yourself later
because better options will soon emerge for your pricepoint

What i would suggest:
IF you can wait, WAIT, chug on with your 580 for now and come back here around mid JAN 21 and ask your question again :)
Depending on your budget i think you'll need to push the envelope a bit further as a 590 is essentailly an overclocked 580 which in turn is an overclocked 570 etc so an upgrade within the same gpu family won't net you much difference

As of today no gpu exists that can max even a PCI3 slot, so don't worry about that

To able to advise you properly, we would need the following:

Your PSU specs
budget and country

Reactions: SkruDe
Hey thanks for the reply! I appreciate it!

My PSU is a Corsair AX 1200i
My budget is $500, USA

That's a decent budget, and given that you are USA based, you should have decent gpu availability soon

The problem:
to me, noone can in good faith recommend a gpu at pricepoint X at this moment

As nvidia and amd are battling it out atm

if things settle, and they will, a clearer price/performance/value hierarchy will emerge

sure you could buy a gpu now, but you probably will end up kicking yourself later
because better options will soon emerge for your pricepoint

What i would suggest:
IF you can wait, WAIT, chug on with your 580 for now and come back here around mid JAN 21 and ask your question again :)

Solution

SkruDe

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks for your reply and insight again :)

My only problem is, I wanted to return the GPU I bought 2 days ago, and use that money I already spent that I would get back in the return, and put it towards the new GPU purchase. If I wait till January, I'd be outside the return window.

Hmmm..... Maybe I just keep it for now. After all, it's an old rig (built in 2014), and I'm due to build a new one soon. But, after benchmarking and seeing my rig perform so well across ALL categories except GPU made me think... maybe I don't need to build a new rig yet.

That's why I was considering the 590 as an exchange for my 580, and I'd just pay the extra $70 premium or whatever the price difference is. But you are right, it's just an OC'd version of mine, maybe will have problems being stressed more.

I could try overclocking my 580. I tried the Automatic Overclock profile that came with the Radeon software, but it always crashes my games. So I'm using stock clock on GPU. I'll need to manually OC the GPU. The auto OC stinks.

I recently had a GPU die and I bought a new RX 580. Let me first say, it's better than my old GPU which was a 7970.

But when I started benchmarking and testing games, it was clear the RX 580 was the bottleneck. For example ESO on Ultra under 1440p I was at 40% CPU usage but 90-100% GPU usage. The benchmarking came back has GPU being weakest part of system. (I have a 3930k OC'd to 4.5ghz, a Samsung SSD, and 32GB Trident RAM. Both SSD and RAM benched very well).

My MoBo only has PCI-e 3.0 slots, I do not have 4.0, so I figured it's pointless to upgrade to a 4.0 GPU.

So, now I'm thinking if I should return the RX 580 and buy the RX 590, overclock it a littler, and be happy with it till a build a new rig in a couple years.

Thoughts on performance upgrade from RX 580 to RX 590?

It's not pointless to upgrade to a PCIe 4.0 GPU.

PCIe versions are all backwards compatible with each other: a PCIe 4.0 GPU plugged into your motherboard will run at PCIe 3.0, but if in the future you upgrade you motherboard, it will likely support PCIe 4.0, which means your GPU will now operate at PCIe 4.0.

You might not have use for PCIe 4.0 right now, but that is not a good reason to exclude all of the current-gen GPUs from your shopping list.

It's not pointless to upgrade to a PCIe 4.0 GPU.

PCIe versions are all backwards compatible with each other: a PCIe 4.0 GPU plugged into your motherboard will run at PCIe 3.0, but if in the future you upgrade you motherboard, it will likely support PCIe 4.0, which means your GPU will now operate at PCIe 4.0.

You might not have use for PCIe 4.0 right now, but that is not a good reason to exclude all of the current-gen GPUs from your shopping list.
please do correct me if i am wrong:

The whole pci 3 or 4 story is a non issue when it comes to even latest gen GPU's
where it does matter (for now) is ssd read write speeds, which are (at pedestrian level) overkill

please do correct me if i am wrong:

The whole pci 3 or 4 story is a non issue when it comes to even latest gen GPU's
where it does matter (for now) is ssd read write speeds, which are (at pedestrian level) overkill

You are basically right, very few people will benefit from a PCIe 4.0 GPU connection right now. That's not my point though. My point is that just because it isn't useful right now doesn't mean it won't be useful later (as an example, directstorage, when it becomes a thing, will take advantage of PCIe 4.0 GPUs and SSDs). I'm also not suggesting the OP should buy a PCIe 4.0 GPU over a PCIe 3.0 GPU, I'm just saying that if he so happens to settle on a GPU that is PCIe 4.0, that's not a bad thing; as a matter of fact in the future it might be a good thing.

Joseph_138

Distinguished
Buying any video card right now is probably going to be a bad idea with next gen cards from Nvidia and AMD on the horizon. Prices of current gen cards are, both new and used, are too high right now considering the pricing and performance of the new cards. Waiting would be best because those older cards will come down in price and you'll get a better deal without the big depreciation hit.

SkruDe

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
I would like to THANK everyone who contributed and provided insight on this thread.

With all your help, I've decided that I will KEEP my current 580, I will manually OC it, and I will wait till next year for updating my GPU to something recent, and with latest tech for the power that I am looking for.

I'm not as uncomfortable with my decision as I could be, because my old GPU died, I had no choice but to buy a new one. So I do not feel like I wasted money. My purchase of the 580 had to be done, and if I end up upgrading to the new cards early next year, then buying the cheaper 580 now, will actually save me money compared to trying to upgrade the 580 now, then again in the future.

So, thank you to all of you. I upvoted you all for your help.

I would like to THANK everyone who contributed and provided insight on this thread.

With all your help, I've decided that I will KEEP my current 580, I will manually OC it, and I will wait till next year for updating my GPU to something recent, and with latest tech for the power that I am looking for.

I'm not as uncomfortable with my decision as I could be, because my old GPU died, I had no choice but to buy a new one. So I do not feel like I wasted money. My purchase of the 580 had to be done, and if I end up upgrading to the new cards early next year, then buying the cheaper 580 now, will actually save me money compared to trying to upgrade the 580 now, then again in the future.

So, thank you to all of you. I upvoted you all for your help.
No worries, our pleasure

i think that's the best decision

See you in the future my dude