[SOLVED] Not installing Win 10 on a GPT SSD?

raeyn

Commendable
Dec 9, 2018
Hi there! I do have quite a bit of experience in hard & software. However, NONE when it comes to installing Windows.
After my SSD broke down, I'm finally making the trip from Win 7 to 10.

But why cannot I not install on a GTP SSD? Do ppl actually run Win 10 on MBR?

Have done quite some reading - UEFI is "on", but cannot figure out what to do.
Not sure what to do, haven't been properly online in 11 days & with all the crap that's going on atm, I just wanna have some time off on a few hours of gaming. I just need to get it right the first time.

Please, help! Thank you in advance:)

Solution
I assume that Windows 10 will be installed on the Samsung 860 Evo?

I would disconnect every drive but the drive you want to install Windows on. Then try it. If the same error comes up try again but follow this guide:

https://www.easeus.com/partition-ma...-new-partition-or-locate-an-existing-one.html

I have never had an issue installing 10 to a single drive in UEFI mode and I have been doing it for, well ever since I could use UEFI to boot I did. I have a RAID 0 with 4TB thats a GPT partition as well and it works great.
Yes people can run Windows 10 on MBR. MBR would just limit the largest partition size to 2TB.

If installing to GPT then make sure when you boot to the installation media you are also selecting to boot into it with UEFI and not legacy.

It would also help to have your full specs such as motherboard, CPU etc.

Reactions: raeyn

raeyn

Commendable
Dec 9, 2018
Yes people can run Windows 10 on MBR. MBR would just limit the largest partition size to 2TB.

If installing to GPT then make sure when you boot to the installation media you are also selecting to boot into it with UEFI and not legacy.

It would also help to have your full specs such as motherboard, CPU etc.
Well, I'm def not looking to install on MBR, GPT is way better but it says it cannot install on a GPT
And as far as I can see, it is booting with UEFI. Is that the only barrier, UEFI boot?
Specs;
CPU i7 2600k @ 4.1 ghz
GFX MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4 GB
RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 32 GB @ 1866 mhz
PSU FSP Everest @ 800 watt
' MOBO ASUS P8Z77-V LX2
Samsung EVO 860 500 GB+ Toshiba Pro @ 240 GB HDD Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Toshiba Q300 4 TB

UEFI requires GPT so if you are getting into the installation and it says it cannot install then it must not be loading the install in UEFI mode.

That is an older system and I think I used to have a P8Z77 board. When you set the BIOS to UEFI, or EFI, and hit F8 for the boot menu does it have your flash drive as "UEFI: Flash Drive"?

raeyn

Commendable
Dec 9, 2018
UEFI requires GPT so if you are getting into the installation and it says it cannot install then it must not be loading the install in UEFI mode.

That is an older system and I think I used to have a P8Z77 board. When you set the BIOS to UEFI, or EFI, and hit F8 for the boot menu does it have your flash drive as "UEFI: Flash Drive"?
I'm loading on a Flash Drive. New problem! It is loading on UEFI now, selected the Boot Menu - had 4 options - 2 as Flash Drive, 1 UEFI, 1 not.
Even tho it had UEFI icon/written across in overview, it didn't load. But it's fixed. However, now!

We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one.

I'm trying to figure it out, but... meh.. Would not post if I could figure it out my self, I'm slightly starting to go crazy.

Thank you:)

I would disconnect every drive but the drive you want to install Windows on. Then try it. If the same error comes up try again but follow this guide:

https://www.easeus.com/partition-ma...-new-partition-or-locate-an-existing-one.html

I have never had an issue installing 10 to a single drive in UEFI mode and I have been doing it for, well ever since I could use UEFI to boot I did. I have a RAID 0 with 4TB thats a GPT partition as well and it works great.

Solution

raeyn

Commendable
Dec 9, 2018

Yep, on the Samsung. Only that drive is connected too:) Well, at least I'm happy to see I'm somewhat far from the only one with this problem. Will certainly try that guide! Not for about 11 hours, tho - but right after:pDid say so before, I am in ever more serious need of a some game relaxation.

Thank you!