RIG:
EVGA Micro Micro ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3 GHz 6-Core Processor
Corsair H100i 77 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
MSI RTX 2070 SUPER VENTUS OC
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Corsair 750i W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Assorted SSDs

I won't bore you with the details, but after weeks of trial-and-error, I've come to the conclusion by mobo has passed on. This was my first pc build back in 2015 and I'm still, very much, a novice. I thought I'd just go pick up another mobo but, after searching Newegg, Amazon, and other online retailers, an Intel LGA 2011-v3 chipset mobo seems hard to come by in both matx or atx sizes.

Am I not searching in the right places? I thought the i7-5820K was still a good cpu for today, no? Should I just upgrade to a new CPU, along with a new mobo? It would be nice to stay in the micro atx range so I don't have to buy a new case too.

I mostly use my computer for MMORPGs, strategic games (Civ 5, etc), and light video editing, so I don't think I need anything crazy overpowered.

Again, I'm a novice so forgive me if I'm missing something obvious here.

Thanks in advance for any insight you could provide!

You are searching in the right places.
That is a capable CPU for those tasks, but it is a 7-year old of a last gen socket LGA 2011.

Around 7 months ago a friend's Gigabyte motherboard died.
I could not find one to replace it or they were overpriced or unheard brands.
I got an Asus TUF Sabertooth from eBay from around $150 (used) and still going.

He's happy with the performance of his 6-core system and it handles tasks as good as some news systems.

If you don't trust used ones you might need to pay a premium and in that case, upgrading will be a better choice

avfreedman

Reputable
May 8, 2015
Great responses, Jay and Jo! Thanks!

Thanks for the link, Jay. I was hoping to stay in the sub $200 price range since I'm sure I probably only have another two-three years left on the CPU. That leaves me with the obscure (to me) Huananzhi brand matx mobo. I googled for reviews of it but there didn't seem to be any, outside of Ali Express... I'm hesitant about that.

I think I'm in the same boat as your friend, Jo. Ebay/used might be my best option for now. Do you have any tips for buying mobo's off ebay? Never done it and would hate to get screwed over.

Great responses, Jay and Jo! Thanks!

Thanks for the link, Jay. I was hoping to stay in the sub $200 price range since I'm sure I probably only have another two-three years left on the CPU. That leaves me with the obscure (to me) Huananzhi brand matx mobo. I googled for reviews of it but there didn't seem to be any, outside of Ali Express... I'm hesitant about that.

I think I'm in the same boat as your friend, Jo. Ebay/used might be my best option for now. Do you have any tips for buying mobo's off ebay? Never done it and would hate to get screwed over.
I purchase lots of electronics items from EBay for my job.
I generally have very good luck.
I would just advise you make sure you know the return policy.
One tip...buying from EBay....is if you can by closer to home....you are better off.....especially if you have to return it etc.

...Do you have any tips for buying mobo's off ebay? Never done it and would hate to get screwed over.
Make sure the seller is reliable. You could see that from reviews.
Check their warranties and return policies.
I had purchased and sold electronics and computer components on eBay.
Most sellers are trustworthy, since that's their business and source of income..
Test, bench and stress any component right away...if there is an issue it will show up.

andreaspetrou6

Prominent
Jul 12, 2018
Ooh! Good point, Jay. I'll start skimming ebay and paying attention to the location of the seller.

Honestly, the more I look at the HUANANZHI X99-8M M-ATX Desktop Motherboard LGA 2011-v3 for $140ish on Newegg, it's getting more tempting. At least I could return it if it's junk. Even if I get two years out of it, that'll put me in a good spot for a real upgrade later.
if u wanna go for huananzhi check the x99 tf or f8 models, they fully support quad dd4 channel, 2x m.2 slots delivering pcie x4 speeds for nvme ssd's, i got mine for 115 dollars shipped. i've been using huanan motherboards since 2017 and i must say im pretty satisfied so far, hardly encountered any issues. u can get a decent overclock to. the only drawback is that it obviously doesn't have the support and the friendly bios interface of the branded x99 mobos neither the customisation options but having them compared performance wise you will hardly see any differences. They have proven very reliable so far. i currently run a xeon e5 2650 v3 on the huananzhi x99 tf, (bought from aliexpress) ran all stressed tests (cpu, gpu, mem) and all benchmarks that there is, exceptionally stable,