Not passing BIOS Splash screen with brand new card (long story)

browser_ice

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
Hi, to maximize my investigation success, I will tell the long story.

1) I have this following build for 4 years:
MB=GA-Z77MX-D3H v1, 16Gb Mem, I5 CPU, OCZ 54Gb for O/S, 1TB HD for the rest, EVGA GTX-570, Windows -7 SP1 Familly 64Bits

2) 4 weeks ago, I replaced my OCZ with a Samsung EVO 250Gb because of the *&$%*&?*!! Windows-7 winsxs folder eating up my SSD. Everything worked fine for 2 weeks. Then all of a sudden I got continuous reboots (windows automatic reboot was ON and I did not know it). After several attempts of finding out on what it was rebooting, I decided to go with Plan-B : reinstalling Win-7. I installed without problems but hadn't done the updates yet (thx to Microsoft, my windows update was not working at all; I had to search internet to figure out how : replacing MS update module with a fresher one). Once I finally was able to update my windows, I had 230+ updates to do. I launched it and found out later it had failed. I stopped it from reverting back because it would have taken +2h. I then reinstall win-7 without doing any updates. I noticed then that 60% of the times when getting to safe mode, graphics was in 4 bits (I hadn't even installed the card's driver). I then proceeded with doing updates in chunks, a while after, it again rebooted on a BSOD. I then figured out how to disable the windows update. So then when rebooting it said it was failing on a nvlddmkm.sys error. I rebooted a few times and it always failed on that. I posted in the EVGA forum and following tests asked by someone (I assume not a tech but a guru guy). I redid the whole installation with my old SSD but a few hours later (doing windows updates), it was again failing on the same BSOD. We then came up with 2 solutions : have my GTX-570 tested on another PC (I have no other one) OR (my solution) buy a new card. I chose to get a new card.

3) Now yesterday I bought a Zotac GTX-960 2GB. I had not ordered online because I was fed up and this weekend is a long weekend. So I made a few calls to different stores and I bought it in a store. Not having many choices (the only gtx-960), I installed it this morning and I was not even passing the BIOS splash screen. No keys had any effect with the available options. I tried puting my card in my other PCIE 3.0 slots but found out later on this morning my MB has a X16, X8 and X4 PCIE slots. The first one being an X16 (where my old card was plugged), I put it back there (same slot I put it in first after trying others). Thinking maybe the problem was with something else, I unplugged my SSD + HD. Same situation after rebooting. My only other devices are a DVD writer/player. I then plugged my MB own video output to my screen, reconnected my SSD/HD and removed the card completly. I was able to boot up. I then kept my MB video output and put back my card. Booting now was telling me beeps (according to MB manual, video card problems). While doing this I noticed that my card fan spinned 2-3 secon upon booting then stopped. Once I powered off, it spinned again until total power off.

4) I went to Zotac site and found tried the technical chat. It winded up sending me a ticket saying someone would answer back in 1-2 days. I then called Best Buy (where I bought it) Geek squad but I was told they are closed for any technical checking in store. Now that I am starting to be a bit fed up (spent +48hours in effort time to investigate this whole thing), I then decided to post here.

What do I do now ?

browser_ice

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012
While using the MB video output:
- loaded up the default BIOS settings
- reinstalled Windows-7 (no updates)
- flashed BIOS from F5 to F15
- put back Zotac card
- booted
- I am now in windows
- installed card drivers from supplied CD
- now applying windows updates (because with my old card, this is where I started having BSOD)

So in other words, so far so good !

Will reply back once I did all updates and ran it for a while

Thank you for your help.