Not performing the best in games?

LudazTV

Honorable
Jun 27, 2017
It's been a while since I've played a game with decent graphics and upon installing some good looking games again I find that my PC isn't running the games as well as I remember. I remember even playing Watch Dogs I used to be able to have quite high settings and have no problems with FPS but now I just keep getting stutters and lag spikes even on lower settings which I feel shouldn't be happening. I feel like it could be my CPU because that is becoming pretty outdated which is annoying because to update so newer stuff I'd have to end up changing a lot of things which I don't have budget for right now. I'll leave my specs below to see what you think. Do you think if I changed to an i7 4790k I'd get much better performance? It's still an older model but it's something I could use and not have to change mobo and RAM to do.

CPU: i5 4690
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
Mobo: Gigabyte H81M-S2H
RAM: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz
Power: Corsair CX600

Solution
long term: check deals, sales, etc and buy parts one by one as its overall goign to be a huge benefit over an older system.

short term: maybe? You will get better performance (as the i7 is faster overall) but how much is up to guess (not likely anythign you'd hope for).

IMHO not really worth the 200+ dollars as cost you maybe 500-700 to get a modern build where you will get large increases and not have to worry again for awhile.
long term: check deals, sales, etc and buy parts one by one as its overall goign to be a huge benefit over an older system.

short term: maybe? You will get better performance (as the i7 is faster overall) but how much is up to guess (not likely anythign you'd hope for).

IMHO not really worth the 200+ dollars as cost you maybe 500-700 to get a modern build where you will get large increases and not have to worry again for awhile.

Solution

LudazTV

Honorable
Jun 27, 2017

Thanks, I might consider it but I'm not as invested in having good performance in games as I used to be, just wanted to play some stuff and not have stutters and lag on em.