Question Not picking up all my ram

TigerJonny

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2015
I have an older Gigabyte GA Z97X Gaming 7. Just give it a clean out and for some reason It's picking up one of my 2x16gb corsair vengeance pro sticks as 8gb instead of 16gb. Anyone have any idea why or a solution to fix it?

Thanks

In the process of cleaning, did you remove the cpu from the socket?
If so, check the socket for a bent pin. Ram issues are a common symptom of bent pins.

Did you remove the ram?
If so, was it fully re-inserted.
It does take some force.

Run memtest86+
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download it here:

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

I have an older Gigabyte GA Z97X Gaming 7. Just give it a clean out and for some reason It's picking up one of my 2x16gb corsair vengeance pro sticks as 8gb instead of 16gb. Anyone have any idea why or a solution to fix it?

Thanks
Can you post screenshots of cpuz SPD tab, screenshot of each populated dimm slot.

Didn't know DDR3 came in 16gb flavours outside of server memory.

oh it existed but it was quite expensive lol. especially cl10 i also found it quite scarce in uk

for some reason It's picking up one of my 2x16gb corsair vengeance pro sticks as 8gb instead of 16gb.
Anyone have any idea why or a solution to fix it?
You're probably misidentifying your DDR3 modules.
With module kits (multiple modules in a kit)- model name includes capacity of entire kit (not capacity of single module).

For example
CMY16GX3M2A1600C9R
This is module kit with two modules, total combined capacity of both modules 16GB.
Single module capacity 8GB (not 16GB).

Please show screenshots from CPU-Z - memory and spd sections (for both modules)
(upload to imgur.com and post link).

TigerJonny

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2015
QVL has nothing over 8GB listed as being supported. Haswell in general doesn't support above 8GB modules (desktop Broadwell doesn't either), but it might be possible to get a BIOS mod.
I think you might be right. I guessing it's half both my sticks of ram, because each slot doesn't support more than 16gb.

https://ibb.co/1XJXhnZ
https://ibb.co/2vk1CKQ

Screenshots from CPU-Z.
I've always had the 3 sticks of ram in 2 2x16gb and 1 8gb.

CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10 - this is 8GB module (single module kit).
CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 - this is two module kit. Total kit capacity 16GB. Single module from kit is 8GB (not 16GB).

So - those are two 8GB modules.

If you have three modules, then total capacity would be 24GB.
You never had any 16GB DDR3 modules.