Question Not posting only when the cpu cooler is on

Jeremie Garcia

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
Hello there !

I’m trying to slowly replace parts on my built, and I'm having some trouble with the current parts I recently ordered. I can’t manage to launch the computer as soon as I add the wraith prism on my new 3700x. Here's what I tried
  • only cpu: post
  • only cpu + cooler not seated : post (the cooler fan spin and light up)
  • cpu + cooler on: no post, the troubleshot lights on the motherboard don’t even get on, nothing does

I also tried to do all those tests with every old parts (mobo, psu, cpu and cooler) one by one, problem was still the same with everything but the motherboard.

I’m not too experienced with this, but I think something between the cpu and the cooler triggers a shortage, but doesn’t it seem very odd ? Any idea of further troubleshooting I could do ? Should I start contacting ASUS to get their help ?

Here the old/new specs :
  • CPU: Ryzen 1600 / 3700x (with spire and prism coolers)
  • MoBo: B350M gaming pro / prime ASUS-pro x570
  • PSU: CoolerMaster G450M / MSI MPG A650GF
  • Ram: Corsair Vengeance LED 3000MHz/CL15 (unchanged, for now!)
  • GPU: GTX 1060-6Gb (unchanged aswell, and not tested since I didn't get to try it anyway)

Jeremie Garcia

Distinguished
May 28, 2015
I was told that it would be fine as long as it's not for more than a couple of seconds, do you think the cpu can get to frying temperature level that fast ? I'm not planning on testing that part again anyway.